Install XP

BranVan39 13:31 15 Nov 03

Hi. I have an Advent machine running on 98, i have bought XP but am having trouble installing it. The computer is telling me that my BIOS needs updating because it can't run the ACPI. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks, Andy

powerless 13:36 15 Nov 03

The motherboard and BIOS you have is?

Fr0z3n 13:38 15 Nov 03

I had a similar problem and did the following:

I did a FULL format using NTFS of nasty win 98 (the format that takes ages to do) and installed XP from there.

However, i used that as a last resort, so it probably would be best to try a BIOS update first. However (there is always an however) if the M/B is very old then you may have problem installing XP as it requires a FAIRLY decent system to install on. Cjeck that your comp. has met the system specs suggested.

gold 47 13:59 15 Nov 03

If you can't find any new bios updates try this when the task bar asks you to press F6 which you never do press F5 a box will open click on standard computer you will not get ACPI errors
and should load as normal.
You may find updating from W98 XP will not close
automatically go to device manager click show hidden devices click on NTAPM/LEGACY/SUPPORT AND ENABLE THIS DEVICE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…