install wireless card on linux?

simmo09 16:02 27 Apr 08

ive just started using linux for the first time, im testing lazarus (delphi like) developer environment. But as linux is not installed nd im using off the cd, i need to access my wireless to get onto message boards etc. I cannot get my wireless card to show up, or dont know how to.

Please advise how to install my wireless card on linux, its an atheros ar5007eg and i believe i need drivers called madwifi or something, which i have downloaded but not sure how to install them.

Thanks in advance

ashdav 16:22 27 Apr 08

I've found that you can only install drivers and programs after you've done a full install.
This is usually done by the option of ndiswrapper which uses drivers designed for Windows.
When you install the wifi card you will need the CD which came with the card and you need to delve into it for the .bin file.
Again I think you will only be able to do this after the Linux you are using has been installed onto your hardrive.

simmo09 16:36 27 Apr 08

when i bought my computer it came with no cd's. It was preinstalled on vista which i formatted onto XP and had to download the drivers for xp.

As for installing linux onto the hard drive, i create a 4gb partition in windows, and tried installing linux onto this partition but wont. I tried the guided install but im worried it might overwrite or lose my xp or other files.

Thanks for your reply please advise more cheers

skidzy 18:39 27 Apr 08

For what its worth;

Ive had my own wireless issues with various distro's,however using PCLinuxOS2007 provided a lot more drivers automatically.

Im not a Linux expert at all,but my best results have been with LOS...especially the wireless.

If your interested,here is a thread i ran a while back with some excellent advice from the Linux regulars click here

simmo09 20:51 27 Apr 08

thnx anyway i tried installing linux which messed up all my partitions. my D: drive became corrupt and un accessible from windows. i had to reinstall xp and manage the partitions correctly.
for whats it worth i only reccomed linux if yo intend to not use any other os. Needless to say will check the above link but i dont think i will install linux.

Cheers anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced