install windows

yorkieman 19:35 17 Oct 05

hi since no one could help with my last post could someone tell me how i can re install windows when windows will not download dvd drivers for my dvd drives and i only have a windows install disc

DieSse 19:38 17 Oct 05

You shouldn't need any drivers to operate DVD drives - Windows contains drivers for them.

You may want extra software to play films - Windows Media Player should play them - but many people prefer other software such as PowerDVD or similar.

DieSse 19:39 17 Oct 05

BTW - which Windows are you talking about? - If it's Windows XP - then all you need to install it is the Windows XP CD.

yorkieman 19:49 17 Oct 05

sorry but i should make myself clear (have been trying to solve it all day)i have a dvd rom and a dvd writer. although they are reconised in device manager and at boot up windows will not install the drivers to make them work they have a yellow exclamation mark next to them so ithought if i re install windows xp it would be alright but i only have a xp disc so there lies the problem

splork 19:54 17 Oct 05

Try making or getting a bootdisk click here and see if the drives are recognised in DOS (they should be assigned a drive letter by the CDROM driver on the bootdisk) . If they are, go into safe mode in XP, remove both DVD drives in Device Manager, and reboot. See if they are re-enabled when you restart XP.

splork 19:55 17 Oct 05

As DieSse said, you shouldn't need any drivers for DVD drives in XP.

yorkieman 20:34 17 Oct 05

thanks splork but this is all new to me i found the site but what do i do now

woodchip 23:48 17 Oct 05

In Device Manager click on yellow mark and then click uninstall and reboot Windows should then install the drivers

splork 23:59 17 Oct 05

Download this boot disk click here
Run the file, it will write a windows 98 bootdisk to a blank floppy, boot from that floppy and see if it assigns a letter to one or both of your drives.

DieSse 00:26 18 Oct 05

Follow woodchips advice first. I don't think you should be looking at or need to do anything with boot disks.

yorkieman 00:59 18 Oct 05

i have uninstalled from device manager rebooted i get a little yellow band saying new hardware found but nothing saying windows is loading drivers. when i look in my computer there is no dvd/cd drives showing,it looks like there is a problem in the registry something to do with code 19 if anyones the wiser

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…