Install Win 98SE onto USB Drive

Klof Ron 13:31 06 Sep 05

I am running Win XP Pro SP2. I have a USB drive connected and my BIOS allows for booting from a USB drive. How do I install Win 98SE to this drive, so I can Run old DOS games and apps. I have to go out for the rest of the afternoon so I will check back later. Please Note I don't want to go down the road of partitioning my 'C' drive, I have PQ PartitionMagic and I know how to do that, I want to run it from the external USB drive. Many thanks in advance for ant help proffered

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:36 06 Sep 05

As youalready have XP install it won't like you trying to install an older operating system.

Is this a HDD in a caddy or a proper external drive?

If you can remove the drive from the caddy

then remove your XP drive from your PC

fit external drive as master in your PC

and install 98.

Remove and refit in caddy. refit your XP drive

dave_and_confused 13:37 06 Sep 05

You can't.

"BIOS allows for booting from a USB drive" Only if the USB drive is set up as a Boot Disk (instead of a floppy disk) It won't load an OS from the USB drive.

dave_and_confused 13:38 06 Sep 05

... thouht he said USB PEN drive...... :-)

Klof Ron 13:40 06 Sep 05

The hard drive is a spare I fitted into an external case connected via USB, My existing drives are SATA, and the old drive is an EIDE in, as stated, an ordinary external case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…