install W98 over ME

SIXTYONE 16:52 29 Mar 05

I had W98 and installed ME. Is it possible to re-install W98 again instead of ME

leo49 17:32 29 Mar 05

Windows won't let you install the older 98 over the top of ME - you'll have to format first and start afresh.

Modo 18:26 29 Mar 05

ME is quirky - but at least it is still supported by Microsoft, making it much more secure for Internet use.

Can you load both? Something like Partition Magic is the best way of doing this.

Fingees 18:55 29 Mar 05

When I used ME, I found it an excellent program. Far more stable than 98 second edition.

Its well on the way to XP which I now use.
I am surprised anyone would want to revert to it.

If you must use it make sure it's second edition, and reformat drive from bootable floppy prior to running the cd, as i don't think the CD is bootable on 98

SIXTYONE 06:52 30 Mar 05

The reason I wish to revert to W98 is because when I installed ME my sound no longer worked. Tried different ways to solve problem but no use.
If XP was installed do you think the sound would be restored?

Modo 13:57 30 Mar 05

XP will almost certainly correct the problem. but chances are you will have to update drivers for much of your harware.

But have you really got the memory and processing power to handle XP? Don't wish to be rude but it is unusual for an ME machine let alone 98 to be able to deal with XP satisfactorily. You'll need 256Mb RAM and it is really only effective on more complex tasks or with several programs running at 512Mb.

I presume you did check the drivers for you soundcard on the maufacturers website? ME has its foibles but sound shouldn't be a major issue, although this maybe the first introduction of Windows Media Player to your computer. I'd also check what is default program for Sound and also update WMP.

Confab 14:37 30 Mar 05

Did you upgrade from to ME from Win98? If so I believe that it is possible to uninstall the ME upgrade.

Do as Modo says and look for the sound card ME drivers from the manufacturers website. I'm not as 100% convinced as he/she is that installing XP will solve the problem for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…