Install sky hd

SusieWong 22:00 10 Aug 08

Hello
We currently have a Sky box, about 7 years old, so getting a bit tired and crotchety now! We have been looking to upgrade to Sky HD, especially as Currys seem to be doing a half price box offer.

Would we be able to install this ourselves or do we need to pay installation charge for an engineer?

Should say we already have an HD TV so we don't need to purchase that.

Thanks for all help.
Susie

jimv7 22:15 10 Aug 08

You should contact sky and see what deals they are doing.

Ditch999 23:13 10 Aug 08

Yes you can install it yourself.
You need to replace the LNB (the plastic bulb on the arm on the Sky dish) with one that has at least 2 outputs on it. It usually is a quad LNB that is used. You also need to run another satellite cable from the LNB to where the Sky receiver is as it requires two cables for operation.
After that you ring Sky and tell them you have upgraded your box and want to "pair" your Sky card with the new box.

laurie53 07:46 11 Aug 08

Please post if you manage to buy a Sky HD box from Currys or elsewhere.

Every time I've tried to buy a box I have been told that even for self installation I have to order from Sky and pay the £60 installation charge, which, as someone has commented in another thread, makes it a very expensive courier service.

Ditch999 12:37 11 Aug 08

Bought mine off a Sky approved seller from eBay.
Got a free quad LNB and a simple set of instructions on what to do. 4 hours later it was working.

Not the guy I bought mine off but he has good feedback click here

laurie53 12:55 11 Aug 08

Thanks for the link, but at £220 + £9.99 p&p that's more expensive than Sky at £150 + £60 installation!

dms_05 13:43 11 Aug 08

I've just taken advanatge of Skys £150 offer to upgrade to HD (from Sky+). The installer took about 25 minutes as he checker the whole system over and used their own system to match the Sky card with the new box. I could have installed myself as it was a straight swop and no new wiring was needed but the Sky installed cost was cheaper than buying from a Sky Partner and paying carriage.

SusieWong 23:27 11 Aug 08

Tanks for all your replies. This is where I found the half price box offer. We're going to Currys tmorrow to check if it's true.

click here

Sorry if this looks odd but I'm not that good with links. I've tried it and it appears to work.

Update later. That's all for now folks!!!

BRYNIT 07:56 12 Aug 08

If you consider the cost of the LNB/Cable and time taken to install and check it's working, it would be cheaper to have it install. It would also be covered for 12 month in case of problems.

gibfish26 16:20 12 Aug 08

hi susiewong.
go to sky and do some serious bartering to get what you want.i upgraded this time last year from the old sky box to HD,they removed my old dish off back of house,fitted a new dish and bracket on front of house,and did installation of new HD box,total cost was about £169,just explain to them about being a loyal customer for several years etc,they where a bit stubborn with me but i got there in the end,and in todays present climate i think you should find it a bit easier to achieve,

gibfish26

SusieWong 18:19 13 Aug 08

Hello again
Just got back from Currys. Sky HD to be installed next Wednesday for grand total of £135 - yes really.

Box cost £75 + £30 sky installation charge.
Currys £30 one off installation charge.

Salesman assured us there is no catch but can't explain why their boxes are half the price of the ones at Sky. Anyone else got an answer?

Just because something looks too good to be true doesn't mean it always is. Perhaps I might buy a lottery ticket as well - or could that be stretching the luck thing too far!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help

Sue

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…