Install second hard disk

Trevor0453 14:25 20 Mar 10

Hi, new to this forum. I want to install a second hard drive to my current PC but the PC has a Sata hard disk and I have a 500 GB IDE drive. Is it possible to add this and if so do I need to get a new cable to attach the IDE drive to the motherboard.
Many thanks for any help with this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:31 20 Mar 10

Ok
Switch off, open the "box" and look to see if the motherboard has an IDE port (looks the same as the connector on the back of the drive)

Your DVD drive may be on a IDE cable if so it may have a spare connector halfway along the cable.
you will also need a spare power plug (D molex)from the PSU.

Trevor0453 16:21 20 Mar 10

Thks for info. but my PC already has 2 DVD drives so the spare connector is being used, can I get a cable with 3 connectors on it ?

peugeot man 16:26 20 Mar 10

You will also need to change the jumper settings on the IDE drive so that it becomes a slave, leaving your existing SATA drive as the master otherwise your PC wont boot up.

There will be a diagram on the drive casing showing the jumper settings.

retep888 16:34 20 Mar 10

to connect your IDE to SATA click here

Make sure you have a spare SATA cable and suitablt power connector for this adapter(it uses a floppy disk type of 4 pin power connector)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:41 20 Mar 10

can I get a cable with 3 connectors on it ?

No

Do you have a second IDE port?

If not you can get an Adaptor click here second one down.

But to be honest the easiest way it to but a USB IDE enclosure and use the drive as an external drive.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now