Install RPM's in Mandrake 10

BBez 18:07 29 May 04

Hi, just installed Mandrake 10. Got extra CD full of applications but when i right click the RPM and select "software installer" the icon appears to refresh and does nothing...

also copied the rpm over to HDD but still won't work

Definately something i'm doing wrong but can't work out what...also logged on as "root"

any help, thanks in advance...

powerless 18:11 29 May 04

To logon as root open a terminal.

Type: su

Tap enter.

Enter the root password...

tap enter.

*To install the RPM, type:

cd /the/path/to/the/rpm/file

Then type:

rpm -i rpmfilename

tap enter.

[i think]

woodchip 18:37 29 May 04

If you look in the programs you will find the installer for things on the CD it will tell what is installed and things you can load if you have the files on disc. it will even tell you what disc to put in

Chegs ® 18:56 29 May 04

click here

D/L and print out this readme,it is very good for linux newbies(like me) ;-)

BBez 22:04 29 May 04

many thanks to all for the help, got it working now.

Away to tackle Samba next to get mdk_10 talking to my XP boxes... ;~)

powerless 22:12 29 May 04

How did you get it working?

Samba? ;-))

Click the start menu, configuaration, kde, network, local network browsing.

Enter the info...

BBez 22:45 29 May 04

Terminal, Su then <password>, typed "urpmi" without quotes as it didn't appear to be installed, then "rpm -i <filename>.rpm and it worked.

After using the "urpmi" command, Woodchips suggestion worked, although i didn't know that menu option existed, as i only did terminals at uni and this is the first time i've installed it at home.

btw:

cheers for the Samba tip...

BBez 22:48 29 May 04

cheers for the link, just unpacked my first tar.gz archive, now all that XDR and LF/CRLF they taught us is falling into place.

Woodchip, thanks, that saves a bit of time...

woodchip 23:34 29 May 04

Problem with new car’s is that we get so exited that we forget where the gear leaver is. If you get what I mean

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…