Install Raid drivers without reinstalling windows

matt-few 16:34 30 Sep 05

I am having problems with my Windows XP machine, which is either has a corrupt registry or has a dying psu. The first response from the manufacturer was to format the hdd and reinstall windows - is this not the most common answer to most problems. I don't work in IT but sure know more about computers than the chap on the either end of the phone. Anyway, I was polite and said I would phone back if had any more problems.

Now, if the psu is on it's way out, I want to do a clean install of windows xp pro but not to load the drivers for two raid drives (F6 key durng setup) and would prefer to leave it a few weeks before reinstalling them.

Can I only install them during a clean reinstallation of windows or can I load them at any other time (like installing software for external driver, printer, or soundcard etc)?

Mr Mistoffelees 16:51 30 Sep 05

You will have to set up your raid array before installing Windows. I believe I am right in saying there is no other way.

Yoda Knight 16:59 30 Sep 05

I would tend to agree, based on the function of RAID

matt-few 17:08 30 Sep 05

Thanks for your advice. I have now tried to reinstall windows xp and load raid drivers (during windows setup), but windows has now installed itself on my raid drives and not on my c: drive. What is the best way around this.

Stuartli 17:09 30 Sep 05
  GaT7 17:23 30 Sep 05

Basically, to make use of RAID, they need to installed on the RAID drives. If you have another drive connected (that you don't want to use for RAID) remove it & only add it after setting up Windows & configuring the RAID. It can be used as a 3rd drive for storage, backup, etc. G

ade.h 18:21 30 Sep 05

It may not work with any and all RAID chipsets, but you can actually install a RAID driver retroactively. I have done so with Highpoint onboard controllers in the past. One proviso is that, in order to maintain existing data, you cannot use RAID 0 at this time, only RAID 1 or JBOD. In the case of the above chip, moving an already-used HDD onto one of the controller's IDE channels and booting simply results in new hardware being found and a prompt for drivers. (Of course, with Highpoint drivers, it can be a pain in the backside to persuade Windows to accept them, but once it's setup, it works fine). Once the driver is correctly installed onto that fisrt HDD, you can plug in the second and use the RAID BIOS to set up the mirror array. As I mentioned, a striped array is another matter because there is no way to create one without over-writing existing data.

matt-few 18:24 30 Sep 05

Thanks for your help. It seems my best option is to reinstall windows on my C: drive together with raid drivers for D: drive but after windows install (and shut-down) to unplug the 2 raid drives and see if I get problems again - and will possible be the psu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…