Install new laptop hardrive

segdef 10:35 03 Aug 10

I'm thinking of installing a larger hardrive into my Acer 5920. Couple of issues I'd like help with please..
Can I download my current Vista onto external hardrive rather than burning onto 11 CD's?
When I re-install Vista will it then spend hours downloading upgrades.
Should I be buying W7 and installing that instead.
I'd appreciate some opinions on these please..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:40 03 Aug 10

Easiest way is to image the drive onto your new drive using something like Acronis click here (free programs are available as well)

Swap drives and apart from the extra space, every thing is the same as you are now.

woodchip 17:33 03 Aug 10

NO, you need a external Hard Drive Case. Then Clone the drive to the new drive. After swap the drives round click here after you swap the drives round you can use the old drive for backing up you laptop

gengiscant 17:36 03 Aug 10

You would of course, need an external caddy for your new drive before you were able to clone your current drive,I use this which is free to clone my drive.click here
Of course you could install Windows 7 and you might want to run this click here which will tell you if there are going to be any problems.

If you go the Windows 7 route you will be able to copy all your personal folders to the new set up.

If you reinstall Vista, yes it will be necessary to install updates.

woodchip 17:38 03 Aug 10

click here Note that the Caddy shown is only for Sata Drives, you need to take the Drive out to find out what connection it is.
This is for IDE drive click here|cc:|prd:10502117|cat:Hard+Drives

DieSse 17:49 03 Aug 10

If you have or buy a Seagate or Western Digital drive, they both have free software which will clone (ie replicate) your current software onto the new drive (note, not image, a slip of friutbats fingers there).

As has been said above - you then need a caddy (external case) to connect your new drive to a USB port to do the cloning.

After completing that - swat the drives around, and put your old drive into the caddy for backups.

The Seagate and WD software is a free version of Acronis, with some restrictions that won't affect what you're doing. It's specifically made available by them for drive upgrading.

DieSse 17:50 03 Aug 10

swat the drives around

No don't swat them - swap them

;-))

daytimers82 17:56 03 Aug 10

Once you swap them around you may have to install the operating system onto it by disk or whatever method is used by acer, also i would back up the drive 1st by saving your files and folders on disc or another pen drive.

these caddys are meant to work by retrieving the files saved on them but with operating systems im not sure it will work if you have operating system on the drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 03 Aug 10

By cloning the old drive to the new, you are moving everything in a usable state to the new drive.

Once swapped you do not need to do anything else the Machine will work as before plus the extra space.

And of course the old drive can then be formatted, used as extra space or as backup.

segdef 08:47 04 Aug 10

Many thanks for all your help guys..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…