install new graphics card

robert01 14:10 PM 07 Jun 11

Just a quick question, I am about to replace my old NVidia graphics card which has died with a newer one. I was going to just pull it out, put the new one in, boot the pc and then load the drivers from the disc when 'new hardware found' appears. Then probably go online for the latest drivers.

However I remember from the last time I did this years ago you had to disable the old card /remove drivers under device manager first. Do I still need to do that or can I just go ahead with my original plan ?

Windows Vista

johndrew 15:59 PM 07 Jun 11

You would be wise to uninstall the old drivers first, then fit your new card followed by the drivers for it. As you say you can uninstall the old driver with Device Manager.

skeletal 10:08 AM 08 Jun 11

Definitely remove old drivers/everything to do with NVidia first.

Recently, I had to change my broken NVidia card for an AMD. I stupidly forgot to do this. I successfully installed the new card and all is well, but being a tidy sort of person, I wanted to delete all the NVidia stuff. Add/remove programs managed some of it, but the dreadful NVidia installer won’t uninstall unless there is an NVidia card present! This is truly appalling coding and makes me cross!!!

To remove it I will either have to manually go through the registry, or take out my working card, replace it with a broken one, to go into safe start mode, go to ...

You get the picture ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…