install new graphics card

colin-189600 16:49 05 Feb 05

i am attempting to install a radeon 9250 graphics card on my dell xp system.I uninstalled the existing driver through device manager, and successfully installed the new driver from the cd that came with the graphics card. When i reboot it appears to start okay, getting to the point when the xp logo is showing, then the monitor cuts out, going to idle mode? Can anyone out there help, please !

ACOLYTE 16:54 05 Feb 05

Does the pc keep booting? if so i would think that you have the monitor refresh/resolution set to high.

colin-189600 17:43 05 Feb 05

No it does not keep rebooting !

ACOLYTE 17:56 05 Feb 05

sorry,I didnt mean did it reboot i meant does windows keep loading after the monitor goes off?

Jeffers22 17:58 05 Feb 05

It may be that all traces of your former card/drivers are not removed. What was the previous graphics card?

If it was an earlier Radeon see click here

If Nvidia graphics download and run driver cleaner from click here

You may be well served by removing the latest card and drivers and doing this using the native windows graphics driver only.

colin-189600 18:01 05 Feb 05

The previous display driver was a intel intregated one ?

citadel 18:01 05 Feb 05

what did you have before the new card

Jeffers22 18:09 05 Feb 05

Have you disabled it in the bios?

freaky 18:48 05 Feb 05

A similar thread to yours came up last week.

As you have integrated graphics on your MOB, then this is causing a conflict with your new AGP Graphic Card.

You have to disable the Integrated Graphics.

To do this you will need to go into your Bios settings, and select boot from AGP. This will disable the integrated graphics, and then you should find it will work OK.

Jeffers22 23:39 05 Feb 05

To get into the bios, reboot your PC and as the screen first comes to life you will see a message Press Del (Delete Key) for set up. (It is usually Del). Best way not to miss it is to start tapping the Del key more or less immediately after pressing the power on button. Somewhere within advanced features or Onboard Peripherals will be an option to turn on/off the onboard graphics. Turn it off, Save and Exit. The PC will then reboot.

The steps to follow I think are: 1. Uninstall the drivers for the new card. (leave card physically in machine) 2. Reboot and enter bios - disable onboard graphics 3 Save & Exit > reboot.
3. During reboot windows should find your new card and ask for driver CD. Follow instructions and with luck you should be OK

Been out, hence long delay in replying.

josie mayhem 19:29 06 Feb 05

I've had this problem with my new graphic card. Is it possiable that you can try the card in another computer to ensure that it is o.k.

My graphic card being a geforece fx 5700 128mb, on a via chipset.

I ended up downloading up-dates drivers both for my mobo chipset and the card as well. I used the driver cleaner pro, to ensure all the graphic drivers had been removed. At this point I had the fx5700 piggied backed on the system with my old card.

Then reinstallled the new drivers, shutdowned, took out the old card and rebooted. Not a flicker since, I just need to try a game or two before I'm 100% certain I have sucess.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…