Install Network Card now no Broadband, Help Please

NICTRY 16:15 30 Sep 03

OK, I have spent the last 2 hours on the phone to Freeserve or USR and am nowhere near sorting this problem out, I am hoping that someone here can help (please!!!)

I have a Freeserve broadband connection using an Alcatel Broadband USB Modem, up until this morning I have used this without a problem for 5 months. Anyway I received all the kit for my wireless network at lunchtime and set about installing it, so I have installed a USR 10/100 network card, all no problem, then attach a 3COM WAP, all no problem, installed the Wireless card in my sons PC and it finds the WAP in mine again no problems.

Then, I start the network setup wizard and it sayd to connect to the internet first, so double click on the broadband icon and it tries to connect, but no joy, the feedback states error 721 remote computer is not responding, I watched the connection go through and it tries to verify user name/pword 9 times then errors with 721, the modem is sending bytes but nothing is being received.

Long story short but the only strange thing seems to be that within the properties of the broadband network tab it shows ethernet, whereas until today there was no ethernet (could be a red herring), I have uninstalled and reinstalled evrything, I have removed the network card and tried connecting but nothing, basically I have no way of connecting using Broadband and don't know what else to try, Freeserve have also given up saying there is nothing else they can suggest! It could be the whole network card thing is unconnected and something has just gone wrong with fserve authenticating my details but seems too conincedental.

I have connected using an old 56k modem in the PC and am desparately in need of some advice from you techies out there..... Please help!!!!!

NICTRY 17:01 30 Sep 03

^

mark500 17:10 30 Sep 03

Make sure TCP Port 1723, IP Protocol 47 (GRE) are opened. Also make sure that the router has the PPP enabled. Check any firewall installed for settings on these ports.

NICTRY 17:14 30 Sep 03

Mark,

I have shutdown the firewall, there is no router in this set up, the PC has a separate USB modem and the network card is connected with an RJ45 cable to a wireless access point

NICTRY 17:17 30 Sep 03

Could there also be any problems with the fact that both the network card and the properties for the broadband connection are both set to obtain IP addresses automatically? It seems strange that although the modem is sending bytes the received is 0, no matter how many times I try to connect, it is as if there is nothing coming back to the PC?????

mark500 17:25 30 Sep 03

click here

Might not help but goes into more detail than I can on here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…