install modem in XP as 'generic'

pookie 09:06 17 Mar 03

Hi

windows xp home (was 98se but upgraded), 1.9xp athlon, 512 mb pc2100 ram, ti4200 64mb graphics, ecs k7 s5a mobo and 4.1 digital creative sound.

When I upgraded 98se to xp home I couldn't find drivers for my modem and I had problems getting it to work. I was able to install it as generic and it worked/works fine. However, I'm thinking of doing a reformat to get rid of the 98se old bits but for the life of me I can't remember how I got the generic option uo when adding a new modem. I tried many ways over the weekend and I can get the 'standard type' option up but the modem doesn't get detected from this option. Any ideas how to get the 'generic' option up. I really want to get this figured out before I reformat.

Also, stupid question, as I had no mobo driver problems when going from 98se to xp home as an upgrade I take it that my mobo drivers will be ok to reinstall after a complete refromat and reinstall of xp - ie no compatibility issues?

Many thanks

P

Djohn 09:56 17 Mar 03

I found that when I did a clean install of XP from 98se, XP used it's own drivers for the modem and worked fine straight off.

The only difference being that I lost use of Voice/Fax facility as the modem driver is not recognised by XP. I never really used these options before, so didn't bother to look for up-dated drivers. J.

pookie 12:05 17 Mar 03

Thanks Djohn for this. I'll reformat tonight.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…