Install Java2 Runtime Environment - is it wise

bill sykes 22:11 08 Apr 03

Hi, Please can you offer any advice on Java, about which I know little/nothing.
I have Win XP SP1 and Microsoft VM (MSVM)installed and everything works perfectly (really!). Now I want to install some free web design software that is written in java and the install instructions say I must install JRE v1.4.1.02 from Sun first, but not make it the default for the web browser as it is not as efficient as MSVM.
Questions : Is there a major risk involved here? If I install Sun's JRE does it wipe out MSVM or do the two coexist? If they coexist how do I ensure that IExplorer and everything else except the new application continues to use MSVM? When installing JRE is it ok to choose 'custom' install rather than 'manual'.
Sorry there are so many questions, but maybe the answers may also help others who are unsure of the difference between these versions of Java. (I'm aware of all the litigation stuff between MS and Sun).
Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

bill sykes 09:17 10 Apr 03

Hello, has anybody any experiences of installing the Sun version?

AndySD 09:34 10 Apr 03

I have both on my pc at home with no problems at all. I added sun for Netscape... etc

I installed it a few weeks ago.

It works fine. No problems at all.

bill sykes 20:17 10 Apr 03

Thanks to you both, I'll give it a try and let you know if I have any problems!

MPete 03:55 11 Apr 03

click here

Hmmm sees to have some bugs.

You got the dose !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…