Install Hard Drive

hawthorn59 20:35 28 Mar 04

Hi!

I am getting a bigger Hard Drive instead of the one i have. Just a few queries about installing that Im curious about. When the drive is installed what is the next procedure; I presume it is to install windows xp. I am wondering about the following:

1 When HD is installed does it have dos on it, otherwise how do you run installation cd or dvd for XP?

2 After that, on xp, do you have to install drivers for mouse, keyboard, cd rom, dvd, etc or does xp recognize them ? I have all the disks anyway, but how would you install a driver for cd rom if it was ON a cd rom !!??

3 Perhaps you would be so kind as to outline briefly the steps in order!

System is P4, XP. I wont be keeping the old drive, its already spoken for!

Having said all that I will get a technician to do the job, I think, but would love answers to the questions, just for my own education and curiousity!

Many thanks

TH

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 20:43 28 Mar 04

No dos,you need to set the first boot device as cd/dvd drive witch ever you have in the Bios,
usually get in the bios by pressing Del,F2 then put xp cd in the drive and reboot xp should start the install procedure you may need to format the HDD first and windows will do this for you as for the drivers xp should load all those in off the xp cd if it doesnt just load the ones it doesnt do after xp has been installed

Regards.

huddy1710 22:45 28 Mar 04

When you are buying your new hard drive..please note that windows xp only supports drives up to 132gb..if you put on alarger drive it will report the size as 132 not 160..200 etc this can be over come by formating the drive out with windows with a program like maxblast 3 and then using their program to enable windows to use larger drives..
sorry i would have given you the links but maxtor.com seems to be down..
this all should work as i have just installed two 160 gb drives on xp..
good luck

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 00:56 29 Mar 04

My 160 gb drive was recognised with the full amount under xp home that was the reason i swithed from 98se cos it wouldnt see the drives full amount.

Regards.

temp003 04:08 29 Mar 04

thehill: If you are getting a hdd larger than 137GB, post back. Otherwise, a Pentium 4 computer is recent enough to support any hdd smaller than 137GB.

No need to worry about CD/DVDROM, mouse, keyboard drivers.

If you use USB keyboard or mouse, you may want to double check in BIOS setup that "USB legacy support" is enabled.

Download the Microsoft Blaster patch and burn it to CD or copy to floppy first. click here

Before installing XP on new hdd, you should disconnect the old hdd first.

Then just follow A NICKNAME's suggestions for installing XP.

If you think the new disk is too large as a single partition for XP, divide it up during XP Setup.

When asked where to install XP, you should see a big C partition taking up the whole of the new hdd. To create a smaller partition for XP, highlight C drive, press D to delete, confirm. Then highlight the now-called unallocated space, and press C to create a new partition. Enter the size of the partition you want, in MB (1GB=1024 MB). Enter. Then highlight the new C partition. Press Enter to install XP there. [You can leave further partitioning till after XP is installed.]

If you're happy with a single partition, just highlight the existing C drive and press Enter to install XP there.

When given options for formatting, choose format with NTFS. After formatting and copying files, let computer restart from hard disk (leave CD in, but do NOT press any key on keyboard when prompted).

During the next stage, if you ever get a prompt about XP detecting non-Microsoft-signed driver software or something like that, do you want to proceed, say yes.

After installation and XP is loaded, install whatever drivers which XP hasn't got. Go into Device Manager to see what devices have yellow exclamation marks - you will need drivers for those.

Install the Blaster patch by double clicking the downloaded exe file. Restart. Don't go on the web before you have done so.

If you need to create further partitions, click Start, Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter. Right click the area of the "unallocated space" and choose create new partition and follow the prompts.

hawthorn59 21:09 29 Mar 04

Thanks everyone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009