install on external HD

iqs 19:48 02 Jun 06

Hi All,I would like to install and run a program on my external harddrive.The softare has been extracted to the external HD,but when I try to install the software it only offers my internal HD as a destination.Any ideas.Cheers,Mike

wee eddie 20:52 02 Jun 06

Others will confirm (or otherwise) this as it is only a supposition.

You will need to "un-install" the software from your Internal HDD and then Re-install on the External HDD.

This way, while the Software is installed on the External Drive, Windows which is on your Home Drive will have the necessary links to it.

I am not certain whether you need to have the External Drive on when you boot the System to be able to use externally based software.

Or whether just plugging it in is sufficient.

terryf 20:54 02 Jun 06

Intrigued why you would want to do this, please enlighten

Totally-braindead 22:20 02 Jun 06

iqs it may not be possible. Most software is quite happy to be installed anywhere but some will only run properly when installed on the C drive. Only suggestion I can think of, and this may not work, is try installing it to your C drive and then move it onto your external drive.

I'm sure someone else will come up with a better suggestion. What program is it by the way as that info might help the others.

iqs 13:39 03 Jun 06

Hi All,And many thanks for your replies.Currently I have NERO 5.5 installed on the C drive.Recently I purchassed NERO 6 from EBAY,when I try to install NERO 6 it instructs me un-install NERO 5 before installation.I thought if NERO 6 was installed on my External HD ,I could use both versions with out any issues.
Currently the software is loacted on the External HD waiting to be installed,if possible.Once again thanks.Cheers,Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…