install e-sata pci upgrade kit for ext hard drive

athenrye 20:57 11 Aug 07

hi
ive bought an external hard drive
its come with both usb and e-sata pci upgrade kit

instructions seem fairly simple to get this faster connection, but when i opened my computer i coudnt see any suitable connection on my mother board to put the plug into

how would i know if i ahve a connection on the MB
ive plugged the usb in and it works fine at present
but id like to get the faster connection

cheers
will

dan* 20:59 11 Aug 07

Do you know the make and model of your motherboard. Also what is the make and model of the external hard drive.

dan*

athenrye 21:20 11 Aug 07

is this what you are looking for dan?

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6390
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 03/20/2003

the external memory drive is Iqon extreme 500GB

cheers
william

dan* 21:30 11 Aug 07

Your motherboard has 3 white PCI slots. Will the E-SATA PCI card fit into one of those slots. The manual just gives it as a straight PCI card with no other specifications.click here

try the white slots at the bottom of your motherboard click here

dan*

athenrye 21:34 11 Aug 07

hi dan
the cable connector ive got is 14mm x 4mm on the end of one of those flat cables

those big huge whie slots are very big indeed....
or do i just shove it in the end??

its certainly not the same size as the connector ive got
cheers
william

dan* 21:41 11 Aug 07

Has the kit not got a printed circuit board PCI card to plug in? Like this click here

It sounds like you just have a cable, is that right. If it is it might be to go to a SATA header on the motherboard. Unfortunatley you do not have this.

If it is just a cable can you count the pins on both ends and give the approx length of the cable.

dan*

athenrye 21:48 11 Aug 07

hi dan
no its not got a circuit board with it

its got a silver faceplate with a connector attached to the back of it that screws into the back of my CPU then a flat 8mm cable out out of that for 30cm to a connector 14mm x 4mm which you need to oush onto some kind of pins

it looks like 7 pins in the mouth of the connector and the same on the other end

i thought it would go straight onto the mother board, but my pc is a few years old now!

will

dan* 21:57 11 Aug 07

you are correct. It is for newer motherboards than what you have. Yours does not have a SATA header.

The only option to get SATA compatability is to get a SATA PCI card as above or click here=

The good news is that it is working via the usb port, though this might be painfully slow as the motherboard looks to just run on usb 1.1 and not the faster usb 2.0

dan*

athenrye 22:07 11 Aug 07

cheers mate youve been great
thanks
will

dan* 22:37 11 Aug 07

Thanks. Your welcome.

It's a shame that the manufacturers don't make it clearer on what the upgrades are.:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5