Install A Drive Dell 4300

renowayne 15:57 29 Oct 06

My A DRIVE IN SET UP SAYS IT IS NOT INSTALLED. IS THERE AWAY TO INSTALL IT, SO I CAN BOOT MY SYSTEM FROM THE FLOPPYS? opps, sorry about the caps.

Totally-braindead 16:00 29 Oct 06

Is this a new PC? If so its under warranty and if you open the case you may invalidate the warranty. The most likely scenario is the lead has become disconnected. Does the A drive still show in My Computer?

renowayne 16:06 29 Oct 06

I cannot get the system to boot, so I am trying to boot from floppy. It is a Dell 4300, 3 years old.

Totally-braindead 16:08 29 Oct 06

Sorry misunderstood, didn't read what you said properly.
What floppy disk are you trying to boot from? I mean what is the disk labeled as?
Have you gone into the BIOS to set the floppy as the first boot device?

renowayne 16:19 29 Oct 06

Yes I went into the set up, and it is first, then the C drive, then my CD AND DVD.
I made the 6 boot disks from microsoft's help page.

I don't know how to change the sequence of the booting process.

My system will not boot at all, I get the screen when booting (in dos),that says "cannot find primary drive 1, press F 2 set up, or F 12 for help".

Totally-braindead 16:32 29 Oct 06

You say "I don't know how to change the sequence of the booting process." that may be the problem.
To get into BIOS switch on and hit a certain key before windows loads and it will allow you to get into the BIOS. In my computer you hit F8 but I've seen others that use F2 so you'll have to check.
Once you've done that and got into the BIOS find the boot options, make sure that the floppy is listed first, save and exit.
Then restart with the floppy in the drive.
Incidently, I'm wondering if you have a windows XP disk. If you do then that is a bootable disk and if you do as above but for the cdrom instead of the floppy you can start from the cd.

Totally-braindead 16:34 29 Oct 06

Actually rereading what you've said it appears to me you have it set to boot from the floopy already. Take the case sides off and check the floppy drive ribbon cable is connected properly. Was the floppy working ok before you had this problem?

renowayne 14:43 30 Oct 06

Thank you very much I have now gotten it back in business.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5