install CPU with fan attached

Deathwatch 19:35 04 May 05

I want to replace my mobo. I have a socket 478 P4 CPU curently installed. Is it possible to lift out the CPU with heat sink and fan attached and simply pop the whole heap into the new mobo?

Is this a stupid question?

Technotiger 19:42 04 May 05

Hi, no not a stupid question at all. The heat sink and pcu are two separate items. The heat sink is held on with powerful spring clips, pretty easy to get off, but in my limited experience can be a pig to put on. The cpu is easy to take off via a clip in one side, and easy to replace - taking note of correct positioning.
When replacing the heatsink a layer of special gel must be correctly applied to ensure proper contact.

Cheers.

Technotiger 19:47 04 May 05

For more info -

click here

Deathwatch 20:07 04 May 05

Excellent - many thanks Technotiger.

Technotiger 20:14 04 May 05

My pleasure - and good luck.

Cheers.

madPentium 22:45 04 May 05

my p4 doesnt have huge spring clips, it has 2 levers on the fan which compress the fan and heatsink down onto the cpu. If a release the fan and pull the heatsink off, it nearly always pulls the processor out with the suction of the heatsink compound anyway.

Totally-braindead 23:15 04 May 05

I think I should warn you about the risks of using the heatsink and CPU as is, which I think is what you're asking about. Its not a major problem, replacing a CPU is quite easy but it is very important to clean off the old thermal paste from both the CPU and from the heatsink and replace it with new stuff. If you don't do this then you run the risk of getting hot spots on the processor which will destroy it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…