Install 2nd HDD

kat64 14:25 29 Apr 10

Hi, I have a packard Bell pc with Windows 7 Pro installed on the Hard drive. Can I install the Hard drive from my old pc as it contains XP pro Operating system.
I would like to have a choice of which OS to use when I boot up if possible.

any avice please
Kind Regards

Zeppelyn 15:40 29 Apr 10

Possibly but your XP will have all the chipset drivers etc installed for your old PC which will prevent it booting properly as there will be a mismatch with new Packard Bell. Two options :-

Boot up the old PC and completely uninstall all chipset, graphics, network etc drivers and shut down. Install Disk to new PC then download EasyBCD click here on the new PC and add XP to boot menu. Install disk and see if XP boots. It might and it might not, I have been successful with this method in the past.

Or install the disk and do a repair install of XP.

You really should have the retail version of XP for this to be legit.

retep888 15:40 29 Apr 10

It won't work because of different hardwares and drivers conflicts.

Even though if you have the XP installation disk and can do a repair installation but if it's an OEM then the licence was tied to your old PC.

Rahere 16:05 29 Apr 10

see here click here

kat64 20:12 29 Apr 10

Many thanks guys for your info.
I am sure the answer to my query is in your answers. Incidentally I have the installation disks for both XP and Win 7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…