Inserting text files into Excel as an icon

j3nks 15:53 27 May 03

Is it possible to insert a document in this case a text file into Excel so that it only shows as an icon that fits the selected cell? The files are currently held in a different folder and a hyperlink setup to link to them. What is needed is an icon that can be clicked on and works like the hyperlink but the document is embedded in excel. I can create the Icon by inserting but it needs resizing to keep with the formatting of the sheet.
Any help would be gratefully received.

VoG™ 22:32 27 May 03

Sorry, don't know how to do this or even if it's possible. Bumping you to the top.

GroupFC 22:45 27 May 03

Blimey!

VoG™, if you don't know what hope is there
for the rest of us!!

VoG™ 22:52 27 May 03

Just to clarify, I know how to do do everything mentioned apart from re-sizing the icon.

Plus, I'm not entirely sure what you want to achieve.

j3nks 11:13 28 May 03

I wish to insert a document as an Icon into Excel 2000 without having to resize each one manualy as the the Icons overlap about 4 rows. As we have about 2000 to import it will take forever to resize them.
Getting the document inserted as an Icon is not the problem it is getting the icon to a sensible size.

VoG™ 11:48 28 May 03

You can do this using a macro. ALT+F11 to enter the Visual Basic Editor. Insert/Module and paste in the following:

Sub ReSizeIcons()

Dim icn As Object

For Each icn In ActiveSheet.DrawingObjects

icn.ShapeRange.LockAspectRatio = msoTrue

icn.ShapeRange.Height = 23.25

icn.ShapeRange.Width = 41.25

Next icn

End Sub

ALT+F11 to exit the VBE, Tools/Macro/Macros, select ReSizeIcons and Run.

You will need to experiment to get the Height and Width that you require. The values above give a 50% reduction in the default icon size.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…