Inserting male and female symbols into text

Tony Cooper 14:05 18 Jan 06

If a male or female symbol is inserted into the text font 'Arial' from the symbol font 'Arial Special G2', the space above and below the line in which the insertion has taken place is increased, so that the line spacing is no longer even. Decreasing the point size of the inserted symbol does not correct this. The same occurs with 'Times New Roman' and 'Times New Roman Special G2'. Either Character Map or change font and ASCII code must be used for the symbol insertion, which is a pain when needed frequently. You do not see uneven line spacing in Biology text books where these symbols are used, so there must be an answer.

Both Arial and TNR contain several symbols that I never use (e.g. ASCII 137, 159 and 165) and would willingly sacrifice. Does anybody know of a text font, preferably True Type and San Serif, that contains the male amd female symbols? I must add that I contacted the Monotype Corporation and they only suggested another symbol font.

Tony Cooper

Methedrine 15:55 18 Jan 06

Try pressing ALT+11 and ALT+12 (use number pad).

Sethhaniel 16:21 18 Jan 06

? or ?
I thought you meant the figure on toilet doors

wotbus@ 16:48 18 Jan 06

I just had a go in an office document and the symbols went in OK selecting/copying and the line was normal [font Times New Roman]
"testing ??? testing". Uhhh, it looks perfect in my document ;-)

Smiler 18:42 18 Jan 06

??

VoG II 18:50 18 Jan 06

These are the symbols that Tony Cooper is referring to click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…