Inserting images in Outlook email

slightlymad 12:01 01 Aug 04

In Outlook Express "Insert > Picture" does just that - inserts a picture, which can be viewed in the preview pane.

In Outlook, the same process inserts the image as an attachment. Is there any way I can get it to appear in the body of the mail, as in OE?

leo49 13:35 01 Aug 04

From M$ Office online Outlook Help

"If Microsoft Word is your e-mail editor, see Word Help.

Do one of the following depending on the type of message you're working with:

HTML message

With the message open, on the Insert menu, click Picture.

In the Picture source box, type the path to an image on your hard disk, type the URL of an image on the Internet, or click Browse to locate an image.

Set any other options you want.

RTF message or other Microsoft Outlook item

The following procedures apply to a variety of objects including pictures. Use a linked object (linked object: An object that is created in a source file and inserted into a destination file, while maintaining a connection between the two files. The linked object in the destination file can be updated when the source file is updated.) or an embedded object (embedded object: Information (object) contained in a source file and inserted into a destination file. Once embedded, the object becomes part of the destination file. Changes you make to the embedded object are reflected in the destination file.) to add all or part of a file created in a Microsoft Office program, or in any program that supports linked and embedded objects, to an item.

Create a new embedded object

Click in the item where you want to place the embedded object.

On the Insert menu, click Object.

Click Create new.

In the Object type box, click the type of object you want to create.

To display the embedded object as an icon, select the Display as icon check box.

Note Only installed programs that support linked and embedded objects appear in the Object type box.

Create a linked object or embedded object from part of an existing file

Open the item that contains the information you want to create a linked object or embedded object from, and then select the information.
On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, click Customize on the Tools menu, and then click the Toolbars tab.), click Copy or Cut .

Switch to the item where you want to place the information, and then click where you want the information to appear.

On the Edit menu, click Paste Special.
Do one of the following:

If you want to create a linked object, click Paste Link.

If you want to create an embedded object, click Paste. In the As box, click the entry with the file format you want to use.

Create a linked object or embedded object from an entire existing file

Click in the item where you want to place the linked object or embedded object.
On the Insert menu, click Object.
Click Create from file.
In the File box, type the name of the file you want to create a linked object or embedded object from, or click Browse to select from a list.
To create a linked object, select the Link check box.
An embedded object is created if you don't select the Link check box.

To display the linked object or embedded object as an icon— for example, if others are going to view the file online— select the Display as icon check box.
Notes

If you want to send an object in an e-mail message, meeting or task request, and you want the recipients to be able to edit it, you need to store the source file on a server.
If you create a linked object from a Microsoft Office file, and you want others to be able to edit the linked or embedded object, the source file must be saved on a network server, the recipients of the message must have access to the network share the file is stored on, your network must support UNC (universal naming convention (UNC): A naming convention for files that provides a machine-independent means of locating the file. Rather than specifying a drive letter and path, a UNC name uses the syntax \\server\share\path\filename.) addresses (address: The path to an object, document, file, page, or other destination. An address can be a URL (Web address) or a UNC path (network address), and can include a specific location within a file, such as a Word bookmark or an Excel cell range.), and you must type the UNC address for the network share that has the file in the File box. For example, in a message, click in the text box, then on the Insert menu, click Object. Then click Create from file, and in the File box, type the path for the file, such as \\Data\Spreadsheets\File.xls."

Alan2 14:06 01 Aug 04

Using Outlook 2002 just ensure your cursor is in the main body of the draft email then click on Insert (NOT the paper-clip icon) then click "picture" then browsing to target picture.

Works for me every time.

Alan.

jack 14:15 01 Aug 04

I have been 'inserting' oix in the body for years, but of late recipients have said all they got was box and red cross.
I made this string and among may ansers I got that the pictures must be 'attached'
As I understand it. sonething some where changed, either in my system or in the recipients.
So now I 'insert' in the body and 'attatch'
they now get the pix they tell me - but how it displays I do not know. In the body? or tagged on as an attchment?

Weird innit?

slightlymad 16:47 01 Aug 04

Thanks Leo and Alan.

Feeling a bit foolish - I don't actually use Outlook on my home PC, but we do at work.

Clearly the message must be in HTML format in order to display images - something that's blindingly obvious to me now! At work the format is for plain text.

Doh.

Jack - You shouldn't have to send as an attachment for your recipients to view the picture - that much this thread has told us. I don't know why you're getting the red crosses - I've had this happen on occasion when I've copied and pasted, but also a message along the lines of "The image could not be found, recipients may not be able to view it", when I click "Send". Inserting the image from it's source location does the trick, as above - but this is what you're doing.

As to whether your recipients see the picture as a tag or an attachment, I'm pretty sure that if you look in your Sent Items, you'll get the same view as the recipient.

Although my question has been answered, I won't tick just yet in case anyone comes up with a solution for Jack's red crosses.

canard 00:22 02 Aug 04

Using OE I find that the little red box with the x is when the pic is copied without being saved on the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…