Inserting hyperlink into word failed

HJAECK 21:48 28 May 08

I tried to set up a link to another website from within Office Word 2003. I followed the instructions but when I use the Hyperlink icon to browse to the website I get the following message...'an error occurred while browsing files'?

I use 'Firefox' by the way.

Please, can you help?

HM

brundle 22:17 28 May 08

click here

CAUSE
This problem will occur when a hyperlink inserted into an Office document is not valid.

Back to the top
THINGS TO TRY
Verify that the hyperlink is valid by browsing to it with Microsoft Internet Explorer or any other Web browser.

brundle 22:17 28 May 08

Makes almost no odds what browser you're using, except if the site specifically requires IE.

mammak 22:24 28 May 08

If the website is valid, try Ctrl + Click on the hyperlink.

HJAECK 06:08 29 May 08

Sorry, I might have provided a wrong description of the problem.

So, here is what I did:
In a word document, I selected the text that will be linked to an internet address. Then I went to the menue INSERT A HYPERLINK. There, I pressed the ICON WEB in order to look for the internet addresse on the web, and then I received the message "an error occurred while browsing files"?

Covergirl 07:32 29 May 08

Have you tried pasting the web address into the Address box in the Insert Hyperlink dialogue box ?

HJAECK 11:21 04 Jun 08

This won't help, since I want to go to the web via the web icon (upper left corne in the Insert Hyperlink window) and then look for the web address online. This works very well on my office computer (also Office 2003), but not on my home labtop.

But to answer your question: Yes, pasting the address in the window works

Maybe you can help

HM

Covergirl 12:23 04 Jun 08

Sorry, I've just done a "About MS Word" and I'm on 2002. It has a Web icon next to the Open icon (on the RIGHT hand side) and that just opens a new instance of IE at my homepage. I can then browse but it doesn't change the original (i.e. homepage) link in the Hyperlink dialogue.

Since you're getting an error message, it may be that either IE or Word is corrupt in some way - perhaps a reinstallation or repair of either or both products may help?

Also, if I use the Address drop down, it allows me to choose some of my recently accessed websites - but homepages only - nothing specific within the website.

I don't think I can be of much more assistance really; but it's easy enough browsing then copying and pasting the address into your Hyperlink Address box, just as long as you don't try to browse from the Web icon button.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…