INSERTING ADDRESSES IN WORD

Radiofan 18:18 11 Dec 03

I have just invested in a new machine in which Microsoft Works includes Word. My old machine had Works 2000 with a simpler Word Processor. On that, you could insert an address from the Works Address Book by going to Insert and then Address.
There is no such facility on Word, as far as I can see. Can someone advise me please (and keep it simple - I'm not terribly expert!).

madPentium 18:48 11 Dec 03

Try looking under tools/letters & mailings/envelopes & labels.

from here you can open up an address book and
say 'add to document'.

Radiofan 18:56 11 Dec 03

madPentium - I tried that but when I clicked on the Address Book icon I was told I had to log on to Microsoft Exchange - whatever that is. Any further thoughts anyone?

Jester2K II 18:58 11 Dec 03

Word replaced Works Word Processor in Works Suite.

Works Word Processor integrated into the Works Address Book.

Word doesn't.

MIke 20:55 11 Dec 03

Set up a database of names and addresses in Works database program and use this to mailmerge into your document. I use this method for my Christmas card list!

A tutrial on mailmerge can be found here click here

MIke 21:50 11 Dec 03

Another link for a tutorial on mailmerge, probably better than the first I gave is here click here

Radiofan 22:39 11 Dec 03

But why should I have to make another address book (it's about 150 pages)? What's the point of having a Works address book if you can't use it to insert addresses in documents and on labels? There MUST be a way round this - what's the significance of Microsoft Exchange in this connection?

MIke 09:14 13 Dec 03

I've tried this with my Windows Address Book, wshich I use only for e-mail addresses, and it appears to work.

Open Address book, click on file/Export/Other Address Book. Highlight Text file(comma separated value)then the export button. Chose a place and name to save the file.

Open word and follow the instructions here to mail merge click here
using the csv file you just created under the instructions headed Other data sources on the above site.

Another way is to open the csv file with works database and save it as a .wdb file, and use that, in facty I tried that way first then just stumbled on the idea of using the csv file neat as it were.

Hope you find this helps

Mike

Radiofan 16:40 13 Dec 03

Mike - I have followed your instructions but it seems it only copies field names and not the content. Also, I am asked to choose a programme for it, so I chose database. Is that right? Heaven knows why Microsoft decided to drop the earlier, straightforward system - just highlight the name in the address book, click and there it was in the label or whatever.

MIke 16:58 13 Dec 03

When I tried it the content was copied too.
I'm not asked to choose a program so not too sure what is happening your end.

I assume you are using Windows Adrees book, the one that integrates with outlook express, for e-mail contacts?

Following the instructions on the link I gave you, when you come to Chose data source navigate to where you saved the .csv file (on the site ignore the window title "use Address book" )It should still be labelled "Select Data Source"
Highlight your .csv file then click open

Then foillow the rest of the instructions on the link.

I'm not sure when you are being asked to choose a program are you double clicking on the .csv file somewhere??

And yes I agree MS are a pain with some of the things they do!!

PS don't bother trying the mailmerge function in word from the tools/letters and mailings menu as I fiound that a real mess. Much easier to install the mailmerge toolbar as per the link I refered to.

Good luck

Mike

Radiofan 18:43 13 Dec 03

The Address Book I am using is the one in Works 2002 - I was able to copy my old entries into this quite easily, although I had to use three floppy disks to do it! I don't use Outlook Express as all my e-mailing is done on AOL. Well, I presume I don't use Outlook Express - I don't really understand the finer points! My main problem at present is finding a way of getting my Quicken data off the old machine and on to the new one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…