Insert old HDD into new PC?

The Belarussian Mafia 22:18 27 Oct 04

Is it possible to put a previously-used hard disk including the OS into a new PC? I.e. will the Windows (in this case 98) simply think that loads of new hardware has been added and get on with setting up the relevant drivers when the new machine starts up? I was wondering whether I could save myself the hassle of relaoding all my programmes & files in this way, and save myself a fair few pennies (the cost of a large disk + an OS)in the process.

Strawballs 22:26 27 Oct 04

It is possible to do what you want but it will be easier if you download and instll thisclick here and go to tools then reset hardware configuration after installing in new machine then reboot and it will get rid of your old configuration leaving it clean to install you new machine without the risk of conflicts. (people with XP this will not work with NT based systems.)

The Belarussian Mafia 22:55 27 Oct 04

Strawballs - this sounds like an authoritive answer. Thanks. Just one thing - "then reset hardware configuration after installing in new machine then reboot". If I understand correctly you are saying that before resetting the hardware I'd have to start with the disk in the new machine, but what would happen to Windows before I could do that, i.e. at the very first start-up? Wouldn't it try to load all the new drivers at that point (i.e. before I had a chance to reset the config?

tell 01:39 28 Oct 04

HI there, I have done this several times and have found it quite simple if using the same sound and graphics, if not then simply change the graphic settings to the standard vga and then in device manager remove the sound drivers, shut down the pc remove the h/drive and fit to the new location
as I said I have done this with no problem but there is always the small chance of a conflict, hope this helps

The Belarussian Mafia 20:04 28 Oct 04

Thanks tell. Just one last question: if there were a conflict, could I still chuck the disk back into the old computer without confusing Windows again?

THE TERMINATOR 01:03 29 Oct 04

If you are changing sound and graphics, it would be advisable to delete them from device manager BEFORE you move the HDD to it's new home. Then when you re-boot Windows will recognise your new hardware and will ask for the drivers....T

THE TERMINATOR 01:08 29 Oct 04

Regarding your question at 20.04, yes it should be ok. Like tell, I have done this many times too, at the very worst all you would have to do is re-install 98 using your boot-up floppy (you have a boot-up floppy don't you?...T

Mr Mistoffelees 07:22 29 Oct 04

I don't know how old your existing hdd is, but if it is a few years old don't underestimate the advantage of a fast new 7200rpm drive. Look at this for just £39.98 click here

961 10:18 29 Oct 04

Hard disks are mechanical devices that eventually fail, and while I accept the concept of what you propose it is worth installing a new hard disk especially when you consider todays prices

Seagate and others have programmes that will enable you to install both the old and the new hard disks in your machine and then transfer all your files to the new disk

You can then retain the old disk as a backup or remove it

The Belarussian Mafia 09:31 30 Oct 04

Thanks for all the tips. I'll probably go ahead, as the disk is a 120MB 7200 RPM Maxtor which replaced an old 15MB jobbie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…