INOPERATIVE MOUSE

Bonzy 13:20 28 Aug 06

Hello friends, some help here please. The serial mouse on my Win98SE pc seems dead. When moved on its pad the arrow on the screen does not move. I'm forced to try using keyboard equivalents to work on the pc, but I know only a few of these equivalents so I'm limited. Yesterday a strange thing happened. When the pc was powered up, it started in safe mode and the mouse worked! I didn't know what to do to make it work even in normal mode. I restarted the pc, in mormal mode this time, but the mouse stopped moving again. How do I fix this problem? I've tried making sure the mouse is reseated in its port and even cleaned ball and all, but still no go. Any suggestions? Please help.

SANTOS7 13:26 28 Aug 06

If you know the make and model have you tried updating the drivers for it, the generic drivers that your operating system offer are not realy much good.
OR
It may just be the mouse is busted, a fair test is to try another one to eliminate this..

Eastender 13:35 28 Aug 06

Your mouse driver may be corrupt. Try re-installing it by right clicking on 'My Computer' choosing 'Properties' then 'Hardware' then 'Device Manager' delete the mouse from the list, restart your computer and Windows will re-install the driver.

Eastender 13:40 28 Aug 06

This is assuming that your mouse will still working in 'Safe Mode'

Bonzy 07:27 29 Aug 06

Thanx, Eastender. I went to device manager in safe mode and found 2 mice listed - one of them was a PS/2 driver even though the mouse connected is a serial mouse. I removed both of them and restarted the pc but there was no change. Could it be that the mouse port itself is faulty? Do you think formating the hdd and reinstalling OS will fix it? But hang on...........if the mouse port was faulty why does the mouse work in safe mode? Big question.

Bonzy 13:00 30 Aug 06

Thanx, Eastender. I went to device manager in safe mode and found 2 mice listed - one of them was a PS/2 driver even though the mouse connected is a serial mouse. I removed both of them and restarted the pc but there was no change. Could it be that the mouse port itself is faulty? Do you think formating the hdd and reinstalling OS will fix it? But hang on...........if the mouse port was faulty why does the mouse work in safe mode? Big question.

Eastender 10:33 31 Aug 06

Although I can't see the logic behind it (since the mouse is working in Safe Mode), why not try another mouse?

Bonzy 13:10 31 Aug 06

Ok, I'll try another mouse and see what happens. Thanx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…