Inkjet Printer recommendations

pc moron 22:49 28 Feb 04

My eight-year old printer has finally gone kaput, so it's time to buy a new one.

The new printer will be used for both text and high-resolution colour printing.

I'd like one that can hold about 100 sheets of paper and handle double-sided printing.

Anybody have a rocommendation?

Derek 06:04 29 Feb 04

Strongly suggest that you research the websites of Canon and HP but first, search PC Advisor since there's a wealth of information available.
Both Canon and HP are well catered for in the cartridge market and this is important.

sherlock 49 07:27 29 Feb 04

Just had the same problem when my old cannon bj200 bit the dust.Here in cyprus you are limited by what is available, but I plumped for a HP 3650 and although its mechanism is a bit clunky its very cheap,pick up for under £60,its excellent value for money and does everything you ask for.Added bonus is that if you are a self refilling cartridge man you can do that as well to keep costs under control.

Analyst02 11:28 29 Feb 04

Dereck is quite right in saying the best place to start is the web and PC Advisor back issues for best buys.
Having worked for both EPSON and HP I would suggest not only do you look for something that handles the 100 sheet feed and the double sided printing, but also you look at the cost of the consumables and the after sales support.Epson after-sales i have to say is good. Hp is good but can prove to be costly in phone calls.
Also whether you want a photo quality printer?
I have a HP 1215 which does both of your requirements but saying that i tend to not put more than a few sheets of photo quality media in anyway if indeed that is what you will or may use at some point.
And last but not least the type of connection you intend to be using?
There are many things to take into account when buying a printer.

spuds 12:32 29 Feb 04

I would suggest that you look at the HP and Epson range. I have always used HP, but of recent changed to Lexmark. Very good printers but heavy on the ink. I find that the Lexmark cartridges are about half the capacity of the HP's cartridges, but about the same price for each. Luckily I have a good discount supplier for my cartridges, so this helps a little. I am now considering, converting back to HP.

jg1990 14:54 29 Feb 04

I suggest you go for a HP printer. These are very good value for money and produce great print outs. I buy my ink from Inkjet Consumables UK - click here - as they are very cheap.

Hope this helps!

StephenRogers 10:02 28 Apr 04

I've got one of these, and can't fault it - sharp pics and text, cheap to run: click here

good review sites: click here
click here

Lexmarks are known to be cheap to buy, and very expensive to run, HP computers have printheads in the cartridges - making the cartridges more expensive, Epson cartridges have chips in which stop you from using all the ink (wasting ink, but protecting the printhead from running dry)Canon's cartridges are simple and cheap to replace (I get mine from click here )
If a canon printhead does need replacing - I think they can cost up to around £50, but I belive this to be a rare occurence

cheers

Agent Smith 11:33 28 Apr 04

I have Canon i550 now upgraded though good prints and inexpensive consumables. Bought three sets of compatible ink for the price of two on Ebay cost me about £25 inc postage from USA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…