Inkjet / Laser Printers and some smudging

ajw270867 14:21 21 Jan 14

Hi

I have an HP Officejet 6310 that I have had for at least 4 years. It is working well and I do not do masses of printing. However the one thing I find a bug bear is this: Once I have printed off an item (like a bank statement) and then highlighted it smudges a bit.

Now it does not smudge that badly to make it difficult to read. However do I have to look at laser printers for output that does not smudge, or have contemporary inkjet printers now come with much better (ie smudgeproof) ink?

wee eddie 15:45 21 Jan 14

The answer is possibly simpler than you think.

The Ink in the Highlighter is dissolving the Ink that the Inkjet uses.

There are two quick solutions:

1. If your Highlighter is water based, change to a spirit based one, or vice versa.

2. If you cant do this, wait considerably longer for the Printer's Ink to set, it will probably still smudge but not nearly as much.

wee eddie 15:55 21 Jan 14

Laser Print does not smudge this way.

I have had a Samsung CLP325 for several years with no problems.

Three things though:

It's colour pictures, although adequate, are not as good as those produced by an Inkjet.

If you ever use Inkjet Photographic Paper in it, you will screw up the drums as it will stick to them.

Although the price of each Print is usually cheaper than an Inkjet, the cost of replacing the Toner Cartridge, when it eventually runs out, is prohibitive. I have not yet tried Third Party Toner so cannot comment on that.

Woolwell 17:15 21 Jan 14

Epson inkjet printers with DuraBrite inks are smudge resistant. Most modern inks dry quite quickly.

ajw270867 22:56 22 Jan 14

Hi All Responders

Thank you for putting various different ideas. I shall look in to these more and see which I can use to achieve the aim.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now