Ink Jet Cartridges Chip or no chip

isca2 22:27 05 Sep 08

Have just changed my printer to a Canon Pixma and have just come across cartridges for sale that are either chipped or not chipped. Can someone explain what this means. Did not come across this with my old HP printer !

immer 22:32 05 Sep 08

some printer cartridges eg my old Epsom, have microchips that somehow know when you have emptied the cartridge and so if you refill them they wont work....perhaps its this type of thing.
(So people have to get a divice/& software to reprog or nullify the chips). Any help?

chub_tor 22:42 05 Sep 08

The latest Canon printers have a small chip on each ink cartridge. Until recently you could only get unchipped compatible cartridges and you had to take off the chip from the old one and stick it on the replacement compatible. Now the manufacturers of compatibles have overcome this problem (and presumably any Canon patents) and can supply cartridges with chips attached. There is a price difference of course but personally I always use the chipped variety as I am inevitably in a hurry when the ink runs out and I don't want to fiddle around taking off and putting on chips.

isca2 23:08 05 Sep 08

Not having done it before, is it easy to take off the chip and place it on/in new cartridge ?

chub_tor 09:39 06 Sep 08

Yes, but fiddly. click here

anniesboy 10:15 06 Sep 08

I have a Canon 4200,from a well known ( to this forum) ink supplier.
Canon originals are £8.37 non chipped compatible £2.49.
I have used the non chipped for some while with no problems, changing the chip gets easier with practice.
However you will not be informed when ink is running low,you do need to keep an eye on this as you don't want to run with no ink.
As always its personal choice.

isca2 10:47 06 Sep 08

Thanks for all your input. Am now wiser !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…