Inherited PC No discs Win XP

geoff47 01:12 03 Apr 05

I have "inherited" a computor that has win XP installed.I have no discs for it at all and no way of obtaining the originals,and the PC is slowing down and playing up.I try to access msconfig to take a look and the window closes after about 4-5 seconds.Sometimes it refuses to shut down until I change the restore point....which I dont understand too much as I have only ever used Win 98 until now.

I bought the pc "as is" and use it off line for a small business....I only need some basic office type functions and installed Star Office which is amazingly slow to open and use.

Is there anything I can do to stabilise the OS without the original discs? I have scandisked and defragged....and having only ever used Win 98 find it difficult finding my way around.

Any suggestions?
Goff47

geoff47 01:16 03 Apr 05

I hit "Post Response" and a pop up error said "This document contains no data" so I hit the button again.
FE please delete for me.

SANTOS7 01:22 03 Apr 05

Don't worry about it its happening all over the forum. It will get sorted in time.

DieSse 01:45 03 Apr 05

Do you have a WindowsXP activation code attached to the case? (there should be)

First of all - I would download BELARC ADVISOR, install and run it. Print off the results. This will provide you with WIN XP serial number etc and a complete breakdown of the hardware installed.

Assuming the serial number is legitimate you could borrow someone elses XP disk and do a reinstall using your serial number (if other cures dont work).

Using BELARC as reference, you could then download the appropriate drivers for your hardware. Back them all up to CDR. At least then you could install properly.

Download Spybot, install and run it. Delete whatever it finds. Download Adaware, Install, run it and delete whatever it finds.

See if that speeds up the system.

Then perhaps post back the results prior to reinstalling XP.

Buchan 35 11:31 03 Apr 05

Tommo2000`s suggestion about Belarc is good, but as I understand it this computer is`nt on line. If you would like to yellow envelope me I`ll send you a CD with Belarc on it. It`s from an old magazine.

JonnyTub 11:36 03 Apr 05

Type 'slipstream' into the search box.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:41 03 Apr 05

1) download Ccleaner from click here. Run it and delete all it finds.

2) Regseeker...click here download, run and delete all the registry entries that it finds.

3) MS Antispy.....click here and delete all it finds.

4) Go to my computer and in programmes delete all that you do not need. Run regseeker again

5) more RAM would help considerably.

6) you should now be able to use msconfig.

If you have problems downloading give me a shout and I'll send you a CD with the rascals on.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:41 03 Apr 05

1) download Ccleaner from click here. Run it and delete all it finds.

2) Regseeker...click here download, run and delete all the registry entries that it finds.

3) MS Antispy.....click here and delete all it finds.

4) Go to my computer and in programmes delete all that you do not need. Run regseeker again

5) more RAM would help considerably.

6) you should now be able to use msconfig.

If you have problems downloading give me a shout and I'll send you a CD with the rascals on.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:42 03 Apr 05

:-))))))))))

geoff47 12:15 03 Apr 05

Gandalf....
you only double posted to make me feel better didn't you? Thanks for that.
Dont know if I have the activation code but can look for it.....otherwise Belarc will find it so forget that last sentence.

I have one PC that I can download all the suggested and then I can transfer them to the problem PC on disc....that is possible isn't it?

Thanks will start to get hold of them now and get back.
Geoff47

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017