Infrared Connection to Nokia Phones

Gemma 13:26 25 Mar 04

Has anyone experience of connecting Nokia phones to their XP PC using an infrared dongle (mine is from eBuyer) and the PC Suite packages downloadable from Nokia? The family has a 5210, 6100 and an 8210.

Before I do this I would like to know of any problems or pitfalls.

Taff36 13:45 25 Mar 04

I used to use a 6210 & 6310i with infrared port without any problems. I now use bluetooth and have all sorts! I`d go back to infrared tomorrow but my current laptop would need a port fitted and it isn`t worth the cost.

The Nokia software is OK and backing up the telephone a doddle. It`s also easier to type in telephone numbers from the computer and send text messages quicker. Go for it !!!!

Demora 14:07 25 Mar 04

I have a 6610 and daughter has 6100. We had no trouble whatsoever, even transfering pictures etc. I use a Belkin USB to Ird both with Nokia and a Sony/Ericcson T69i (Bluetooth made me so cross)

Demora

grabster 14:20 25 Mar 04

Well i have a 6100 connected with a u2irda dongle from maplins and have no probs with pc suite or mobile media browser although the original config probs i had near had me pulling my hair out till my daughter came to the rescue and got things running sweet.
im able to transfer pics and games back and forth to my phone so i guess im happy enough with the simplicity of it all.

Gemma 16:14 25 Mar 04

Thanks to all. I'll go and do it.

Gemma 11:23 26 Mar 04

No problems on XP Home. Just plug it in, XP does it's thing, install the Nokia PC Suite, set the phone to infrared, point it at the dongle and go.
For the eBuyer dongle, XP has a choice of two drivers. One works better than the other, however the poor one is the default. Change to the Sigmatel 4000 version.
The Nokia software is a bit bizarre in it's interface and look but works OK. If you are managing a variety of phones take care with the directories used for holding the files.

Different story on Windows ME. The drivers on the product CD instal OK and detect the phone as an infrared device. However I could not get the Nokia application to instal (failed driver instal) even with the aid of a glass of red....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…