Information left on laptop

Wayne690 08:38 11 May 04

If I remove the hard disc from my laptop is there any other personal information about me stored anywhere else on the machine? I want to sell it but keep the hard drive.

Diodorus Siculus 08:43 11 May 04

Data will only be on the hard disk, unless it has special security features such as fingerprint recognition etc.

wee eddie 12:14 11 May 04

What are you going to do with the old hard drive?

It is unlikely to fit into anything and the laptop will be worth virtually nothing without it.

Transferring all the information to a new drive (Modern drives are huge and cheap)should be fairly simple, and wiping the old drive relatively inexpensive.

wee eddie 18:20 12 May 04

Not a silly question you asked on PC Advisor help-room.

I was hoping that the hard disk would just simply slot into another laptop and I could almost use it like a CD, I have important and confidential information on there and don't want the hassle of transferring it.

If I buy a same make laptop but different model I assume this may work. I could use two hard drives then, it's easy to pull out the hard drive in a laptop.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. I'm no computer buff unfortunately!

wee eddie 18:23 12 May 04

Your thought is a good one, which unfortunately, is doomed to failure in the way you are proposing.

There is no space within a laptop to fit a second HDD, and it is unlikely that your old one will fit in the space allocated for a HDD within the new laptop as there have been material changes in design in the last few years.

Transferring your data is simply a matter of copying to the files to an other medium - say a CD - then pasting them into the new Laptop.

If the old Laptop does not have a CD Writer there are many other means of transferring the files.

Destroying the files on the old Laptop is very much a job of finding the right software, Norton do one as part of Utilities, and following the instructions.

If the sensitivity of the files is of National importance then so a search among the threads here for more thorough methods.

woodchip 18:43 12 May 04

If you have a USB connector on your laptop you can buy a USB link cable for about £15 from a computer fair including software and drivers. you load the CD on both computers connect the link cable, and there is a icon on the desktop that you double click on both machines. you can then transfer all your data. Then clear the Old Hard Drive with a Format

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…