Info needed before I buy new hard drive

Newuser2 19:13 15 Sep 03

I'm going install a second hard drive on my PC but I'm completely in the dark as to what spec will match my PC.
It's a 500 P3 with 256 of Ram.
My current hard drive is a "massive" 13gigs.
I'm looking at 40 to 60 for the new one.
I,m OK on the installation but I need to check the new drive will be compatable.
What details do I need to check, I assume I will find them in the bios?

wiznyme 19:19 15 Sep 03

Any EIDE drive will be compatable.

Rtus 19:22 15 Sep 03

try your motherboards manual /homepage (tech support) however it should should be ok with the size youve stated..Theres usually drive overlay software to get around Bios limitations anyway.

SEASHANTY 22:13 15 Sep 03

Just buy a 60GB Maxtor, Seagate or Western digital EIDE drive either 5400 or 7200. These will be ATA100 or ATA133 now and yours in probably ATA66 but it doesn't matter as the new ones are backwards compatible. Get a retail boxed drive which will include all the fittings, cable, screws and installation software which will enable you to set your new drive as Master and transfer all your info from your old drive. You can then set your present drive as slave. Note that if you buy an OEM drive (which most of the website drives advertised are), that you will only get just the bare drive.

spuds 23:25 15 Sep 03

When you purchase the new hard-drive, check the warranty.Some have three years,others have only one year cover.

pj123 23:36 15 Sep 03

If you already have a 13gb hard disk running OK then you should be able to install a 40gb or 60gb with no problems. Have a read of this previous thread to see how to do it. click here

Newuser2 19:00 16 Sep 03

Many thanks for all your replies, your help has been very helpful, I can buy a new drive with confidance.

Stuartli 19:26 16 Sep 03

If you buy the Western Digital models with the model's name ending in JB, you get a three rather than one year warranty.

The Caviar Special Edition models come with 8MB cache, 7200rpm speed and the £64 (from Scan or dabs) 60GB WD600JB is now an 80GB for the same price.

I know, because I got the 60MB a fortnight before the additional 20GB version was substituted...:-(

If you are not bothered about the three year warranty you can add at least another 20GB for each drive size for the same price.

Just four years ago I paid £65 for a Samsung 8.4GB HDD....

The Sack 19:33 16 Sep 03

Check with the mobo maker for a BIOS update because there is a 32GB limit that you may (stress may) fall foul of.

wiznyme 20:52 16 Sep 03

The 32GB limit isn't with the BIOS it's with the file allocation table, the way windows stores data on the hard drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now