Info on 3 graphics cards

Ade_1 16:11 26 Jan 06

I am looking at 3 graphics cards those being the
HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 GTO ICEQII TURBO from Overclockers

PowerColor X800GT 256mb GDDR3 256bit PCI-E

and the

PowerColor X800GT 256mb GDDR3 256bit PCI-E

Obviously the X800's are better than the X700 but

I was wondering if you could tell me what WATTS the HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 GTO ICEQII TURBO will need

and

what would you suggest or go for?

RAM:1024mb
PROCESSOR:2.8ghz INTEL P4
CURRENT CARD: X300
(Dell Dimension 5100)

Any other info needed just let me know :)

(PS - do apologies about the nubmer of posts on graphics cards i need to make the right choice!!)

andrew-196854 16:17 26 Jan 06

are you on about power supplies ??????

Ade_1 16:18 26 Jan 06

yes, what WATTS the PSU's would need to run these graphics cards also what you personal opinion is and which is the better card. And if i would need to upgrade my ram , which i know i woudlnt for the X700 but not sure about the rest.

andrew-196854 16:21 26 Jan 06

if you email me i can point you in the right direction as i dont want to put a link on here about another magazine you will have to sign up but its free my personal opinion would be the gto

andrew-196854 16:22 26 Jan 06

if you email me i can point you in the right direction as i dont want to put a link on here about another magazine you will have to sign up but its free my personal opinion would be the gto

Ade_1 16:43 26 Jan 06

ok dibbly, do you know what WATTS they need? liek the Power supply?

Ade_1 16:55 26 Jan 06

just to add, i have a 305W PSU is this not good enough for the HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 GTO, i know the x700 will be ok and the x800GTO should also be ok, but im not sure about the HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 GTO and the RAM situation with the x800GTO and the HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 GTO will i need mroe for those cards?

Mr Beeline 17:02 26 Jan 06

Hello yet again...

Of the cards you mention, the HIS card is by far the better and runs around 20% faster than the standard GTO on which it's based.

There is both a PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 GTO and a PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 GTO16 (this version has the full 16 pixel pipelines enabled).

I would suggest that either of the two standard Powercolor GTO cards would be fine on your current PSU (as already mentioned on a previous thread). The HIS version might well be pushing it a bit, as the GPU core comes overclocked by some 20%+ and it's this that will take a hit on your PSU.

To be totally honest, there is no hard and fast rules about power requirements. As already mentioned in a previous thread, it depends as much on the quality, stability, the amps on the +12v rail and what other components you have in your PC, as it does on just the number of watts it pumps out. having said all that, if you built a new PC from scratch, you would be mad not to put a decent 450w, or better in (consider the price difference is so minimal).

You also need to get all this "looking for the ... best ... graphics card for your system", in perspective. Of all the cards mentioned in your numerous threads, there is little more than around a 20% real world processing difference and in games (and lets be honest, this is the main reason people want a decent graphics card)and in the real world ... 20% of 30 FPS (Frames Per Second), is only another 6 FPS. Worth having maybe but it's not going to make a huge difference to your gaming experience. Now if you were talking about the difference between say an X800GTO and a X1800XT, then yes, there would be a real difference.

Go on... but the standard X800 GTO. It's a nice card, much better than what you have and you will notice a difference.

Good luck.

PS. Please excuse the length of my post, but you can get caught up forever in reading reviews and asking for advice. At some point you need to just bite the bullet and buy something.

Ade_1 17:08 26 Jan 06

ok thanks, all of your help is much appriciated and i dont mind reading your posts as i knwo you tell it as it is :)

Mr Beeline 17:10 26 Jan 06

O'yes...

In answer to your "will I need more RAM for those cards?". The answer is no. Considering the overall power of your system, I would see no real advantage in increasing your memory to say 2GB. With 256MB of their own dedicated memory, this should not be an issue.

andrew-196854 17:33 26 Jan 06

another point to remember is what games do you want to play on it and also bear in mind that some psus come with 20 pin and the newer ones are 24 ,im thinking that you will need a 20 pin one ,for your motherboard that is, might be worth getting a 20 and 24 thats if your going to change your psu that is and then you would be ready for a new motherboard then when the time comes as for mr beeline last comment i disagree

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant