Infinite Loop on graphics hardware :(

Lord_Anubis 14:56 06 Jun 03

I left my laptop on overnight only to wake up and find that an error had occured. Windows had logged me out, and the login screen was displayed at extremely low colour depth (lower than selectable in the properties box).

Anyway i restarted windows, which worked fine, all except for the dialogue stating that windows had recovered from a 'serious error' and that it was saving a log in the ... directory. I checked the event logs for system error and low and behold the was one that caught my eye....

4:52am - The driver SiSGRV for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

i figure that that must haved caused the problem, however two other error, occure between then and the time i found the logon scree:

8:59am -The server {DF66AFC9-C61D-404A-B535-64FBF91D420F} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

9:02am -Error code 000000ea, parameter1 851c4b38, parameter2 852c6c78, parameter3 853d0690, parameter4 00000001.

Now i realise that these mean nothing to most people, but i was wondering given this info and aditional info stated below does anyone know whether this is a driver or hardware issue. Probably no way to know for sure but i just thought i'd ask the experts first.

OS = Windows XP Home + SP1
Graphics Hardware= SiS 650 Graphics chipset, 32Mb(integrated into a time laptop :$, i know my fault for buying a time machine)
Recently installed software = Codename: Dashboard v1.1 beta 12

Please dont post any sarky comments, after all you get nothing unless you ask, and if know one knows what the hell i'm on about u can always ignore it. Oh before you ask i have updated my device driver for SiS's website, just in case it was a driver issue, just want to know if i can sit reletively safe

hugh-265156 15:09 06 Jun 03

have not of this happening with sis integrated graphics,its normally assoiated with nvidia cards.

update the grapics drivers see if that here 18/03/2003 is the latest update

hugh-265156 15:18 06 Jun 03

before you ask i have updated my device driver for SiS's website, just in case it was a driver issue.

oops didnt see that first time sorry

Lord_Anubis 15:18 06 Jun 03

Thanks, allready got the latest driver installed. just wanted to know weather, as windows posed, it was a driver or hardware issue.

My laptop beggers belief, first the HD crashes, now the graphics 'card' is playing up. I shud have bought a sandwich :P

hugh-265156 15:22 06 Jun 03

click here for info etc

hugh-265156 15:23 06 Jun 03

make sure windows itself is up to date

Lord_Anubis 19:20 07 Jun 03

OK thanks for the help, i just hope it doesn'y happen again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…