Infected PC

leedsafc 11:57 05 Feb 06

I have a colleagues PC that may be infected with a virus although i have scanned with AVG and it appears that all viruses have been Quarantined and removed i cannot connect to receive latest updates. If i network it to my PC what are the dangers of it infecting my PC i am running AVG, OS Windows XP Home. Other PC OS Windows XP PRO. Any suggestions please.

ianeon 12:01 05 Feb 06

Why risk it? Why not scan your colleages computer with one of the many online virus scanners to make sure - The columns of this forum are full of recommendations

howard63 12:31 05 Feb 06

assuming your pc is protected with uptodate stuff there should be no problem. Another thing you could do is remove his hard drive and set it as slave in your pc. Your stuff will then be able to deal with it.

alan227 12:32 05 Feb 06

Try this one, it is very thorough.

click here

leedsafc 13:01 05 Feb 06

Thanks all for the response. What i was intending to do was to install a new hard drive in his Pc and format the infected hard drive. He is running Win Xp Pro but he does not have the cd to re-install so i am doing a clean install of win xp home on the new HD. However he wants to retain his OE Addresses and his My Pictures Folder. I thought if i copy to disc and scan for viruses in my PC it would be ok.

leedsafc 13:09 05 Feb 06

I forgot to mention why i wanted to network. As he has dial up connection he picked up one or two diallers. As i have a broadband connection i thought i could download the latest updates through a network connection and install them on his PC. Does this make sense

wee eddie 17:14 05 Feb 06

or similar.

Run it from the CD at Zero Risk to yourself.

wee eddie 17:14 05 Feb 06

or similar.

Run it from the CD at Zero Risk to yourself.

bluesbrother 17:23 05 Feb 06

A usefull tool from BT to combat dialers click here

bluesbrother 17:26 05 Feb 06

Why not just connect your friends pc directly to your broadband connection. I did the same thing using an NTL connection.

terryf 18:08 05 Feb 06

Download vcleaner.exe from AVG site to a floppy, flip the write permit button on the floppy after renaming it to anything.exe, boot up in safe mode and run the file, this may work. The renaming is because some virii recognise the cleaner Turn off system restore and reboot before cleaning because sometimes the worms hide in there

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…