Indexing

22bty 10:02 15 Mar 09

Hi all

I am having a problem switching off indexing in XP (I want it to boot faster) I have unticked the "turn on indexing box", & rebooted three times now & it is still indexing, without the box being ticked.

Hope someone can help

Old & confused

Sea Urchin 12:42 15 Mar 09
  22bty 18:36 15 Mar 09

Thanks for the response, I tried it but it still keeps loading. I think I will just go on stopping it manually, (unless anyone else has any ideas)

Thanks again

Old & confused

Sea Urchin 19:06 15 Mar 09

I presume you scrolled down the page and disabled Indexing in services.msc - if so it should not be able to run. What exactly "still keeps loading"?

22bty 08:49 16 Mar 09

Hi again

Yes, I disabled it in services, but it still keeps running every time I restart, I have to disable it manually, after the magnifying glass has appeared in the taskbar.

Sea Urchin 00:29 17 Mar 09

but now I understand - the magnifying glass has nothing to do with Indexing - it is the Windows Update KB917013 - Windows Desktop Search 3.01 for Windows XP.

Personally I uninstalled this update, as I found it a nuisance, and it interfered with the standard Search feature. My system has been quite happy without it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced