Index.dat files-...Safe to delete?

Skeletor 23:04 29 Jan 04

Hi all,

I am using Win XP Home

Is it safe to delete the index.dat file (or the contents) in the cookies folder and temporary internet files folder?

From what I can gather, from checking some websites, they only contain web surfing information. if this is so, then why does the message appear 'These files are used by the operating system and various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system'.

I think it probably is safe to delete these files, as some of the websites I've visited offer programs to do exactly that.

Just wanted to check it out with you guys first.

Cheers

VoG II 23:07 29 Jan 04

Yes you can safely delete them but not on your own. You need something like CleanUp! click here

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:09 29 Jan 04

You can delete cookies but sites that need them for id purposes wont recognise u and u will have to fill out your username and password again,the index.dat u can delete as well ,do know if windows will let u do it unless its in safe mode tho,but it will make a new .dat file on reboot anyway.

Reagrds.

spikeychris 23:09 29 Jan 04

You cant kill the index.dat files with Windows tools whilst Windows is using them. Use whatever third party tool you want and all will be well. Yeah they are only a ref of you net activities.

If yo delete the folder Windows will recreate it at the next boot....

Skeletor 23:24 29 Jan 04

Wow! That was quick.

It's pretty much what I suspected.

I wonder why Microsoft try to scare you off touching these files!...Strange!

Thanks all.

spikeychris 23:31 29 Jan 04

no scaring, just system folders and unless you fancy a bit of reverse engineering (M$ ask you to tick the EU box before you install Windows so you would break it) the only way would be to delete the folder, you cant whilst its in use, that applies to all system folders.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac