Index dat question

charlton200 18:03 07 Sep 05

Hi,
I have recently read that there are 3 index dat folders on your computer and that they do not get deleted, and that over a period of time they can slow your computer up.
If this is true , is there a way or program that is very safe to use to clear these index dat folders up.

Cheers.

Chegs ® 18:28 07 Sep 05

ccleaner removes index.dat files.click here

Graham ® 18:28 07 Sep 05

You mean Internet Explorer index.dat?

click here

woodchip 18:33 07 Sep 05

If you are Win98 or ME then you can only get rid in DOS it then creates a new 32kb file

charlton200 18:40 07 Sep 05

Thanks.

Does ccleaner clean all 3 index dat folders and is it safe to use.

As to whether is is internet explorer index dat I am not sure. All I know is what I have read and that there are 3 of them somewhere on the computer and it is best to clear them to speed thing up.

thanks for your time.

charlton200 18:41 07 Sep 05

i am window xp .

octal 18:56 07 Sep 05

Index.dat Suite click here

Jackcoms 18:59 07 Sep 05

"Does ccleaner clean all 3 index dat folders and is it safe to use."

No.

Perfectly safe.

"All I know is what I have read and that there are 3 of them somewhere on the computer"

Have you actually bothered to run a search for them?

kimjhon 08:31 08 Sep 05

Just been given an old 64MHz PC from an office.While cleaning it up (S&D found 64 items of malware) I ran Spider to delete the index.dats.

The URLS of six years of browsing history was recorded along with every search made and a record of all the cookies that had ever been in the cache.

BTW any browser or anything that accesses the internet ( ZA for example ) opens another set of index.dats. I have nine open at the moment.

Strangly enough they only fill up (98SE) with info from your default browser. So if IE is left as default they do not record things when browsing with Firefox.

bremner 11:19 08 Sep 05

"Strangly enough they only fill up (98SE) with info from your default browser. So if IE is left as default they do not record things when browsing with Firefox."

That is because they are IE files.

Firefox / Opera / AOL all have similar files they are just not called index.dat.

In Opera it is called dcache4.url click here

In Firefox all cache history is in the Cache Folder in Documents and Settings\<username>/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/<profilename>/Cache

Pita BT 00:42 26 Nov 05

Delete Index.dat files
If like my system there will be more than 3 index.dat files. I have about 10.
Print out these instructions so you can follow them to the letter.
It is not possible to delete index.dat files when Windows is running because Windows locks them.
Be sure to differentiate between the two types of slash key used. ( \ or / )

Restart Computer and when starting up keep hitting F8 key until you get the menu for Safe Mode etc.
Select :::
Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Hit Enter key.

Select Operating System to Start (You will likely only have one entry which will already be highlighted so hit the enter key. If more than one select the entry which suggests XP then hit enter key)

The Screen will fill with Drivers etc then will clear to Windows Starting up.
If you need to choose User Choose either your name or Administrator. Click on your choice.

Then you will get a Black Screen with the C prompt. (C:\>) Followed by some directories, on the same line.

Important to follow the next instructions exactly.
(If you make a mistake which you cannot correct hit CTRL ALT DEL and restart)

Type.......
CD\ (this slash key is the one on the left of the keyboard)
then hit Enter key.
You should now have
C:\>
Type
del index.dat /s ( there is a space after del and after dat. This slash key is the one on the ? mark key)

After a short wait a list of deleted files will appear and when finish the C prompt will appear. (C:\>)

When it does hit CTRL ALT DEL

Hover the cursor over Shutdown and on the drop down menu click on Restart.

Job done.

If when back in windows you use index.dat viewer none should appear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…