index dat. files

G123 10:33 26 Mar 07

Is it advisable to clean out index dat.files? There appears to be much software available to delete them, are they safe and useful and worth the money? Thanks

VoG II 10:35 26 Mar 07

click here for a good and free clean-up utility.

MAJ 10:36 26 Mar 07

Some are free and quite good, G123, like CCleaner. click here

pj123 13:43 26 Mar 07

I use Clean-up as VoG™ suggests but it doesn't touch the index.dat files. They still continue to grow in size. My clean up day was yesterday and checking today my Cookies index.dat file is 272kb and my Temp Int index.dat file is 9.8mb.

When I was using Win 98SE I wrote a small batch file which reset the index.dat files in Temp Int Files and Cookies back to the default values. (32kb for Temp Int Files and 16bk for Cookies).

You can't actually delete them altogether.

Now I am on XP I haven't tried writing another batch file because I am under the impression that XP does not have DOS?

pj123 14:03 26 Mar 07

Just tried CCleaner, thanks MAJ.

At first I thought it didn't work because my index.dat files were still the same, but after a reboot they are now back to default values.

So, Cleanup comes off and CCleaner stays on.

MAJ 14:10 26 Mar 07

Yeah I like it pj123, does what it says on the tin, you have to be careful what you select for deleting though, I usually find that my autocompletes, run list and IE addresses have disappeared after running it without paying proper attention, lol.

baldtaco 14:17 26 Mar 07

This works well. Use it on manual or select automatic and it'll do it on reboot. Good guy, Good werk. Peachy

Index.dat Suite - click here

muddypaws 12:49 26 Feb 08

I use CCleaner regularly, but always uncheck the .dat box ( and a few others). I presume the .dats hold the history. So what, if any, are the dangers of deleting them and are they securely deleted?
Thanks.

muddypaws 12:52 26 Feb 08

Apologies I posted the thread in a search thread by mistake.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now