Index dat file contradiction

pcbobby 19:12 11 Dec 04

Index dat contradiction.

I have used the Supper Winspy to search the Temp Internet Files/content/IE 5 index dat. According to the search, the files are empty.
Yet, when I use Easy Cleaner, it indicates the size of the above file as 2277376.
Last week it was only 1736704 ! it just seems to go on growing.
The size of the History file remains at 81920
When I attempt to use Easy Cleaner to delete them, I get an error message saying that the both files may be in use.

I would be obliged if someone could enlighten me about the contradiction

Thanks
PcBobby

spikeychris 19:52 11 Dec 04

You can't delete the Index.dat file, its a system file and is always in use. Some would say this is a M$ spy tool but that was put to bed years ago. You are using IE5 so you are running either 9X or WinME. If 9X then restarting in MS DOS mode and typing this at the prompt C:/>deltree c:\windows\tempor~1 will delete the files. If ME run a search online, there are numerous tools available to do the job.

spikeychris 20:07 11 Dec 04

Actually to be on the safe side (you might have installed a prog and not rebooted) type this..

del c:\windows\tempor~1\content.ie5\index.dat

Jackcoms 20:21 11 Dec 04

click here
CCleaner will delete index.dat files but requires a system re-boot after running the program

pcbobby 21:12 11 Dec 04

Thank you spikychris for the information, i shall try it.

pcbobby 21:15 11 Dec 04

Hi, Jackcoms,I will download C CLeaner.
I will post the outcome

pcbobby 21:45 11 Dec 04

The C Cleaner has reduced the size to approx 32K.
The history file size remains at 81920.

I have downloaded spikychris's info. i will attempt that as well.

many thanks
PcBobby.

Valvegrid 22:43 11 Dec 04

That is about the correct size for the index.dat file. If you do delete the index.dat file, the next time you open IE it will make a new index.dat file and start filling it up again, so you'll have to periodically delete it to empty it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced