Incremental Back-up - a few questions

wee eddie 21:16 06 Jun 06

From what I gather, the first time around a copy is made of everything and thereafter only those files that have been altered are copied.

Q1. If a file has been deleted between the Base Copy and the current back-up. Is it also deleted?

Q2. When restoring an Incremental Back-up, I assume that you restore the Base Copy and then every following back-up to date?

Q3. How often would it be sensible to start again. e.g. Create a new Base Copy?

The reason for the questions - I have just installed a replacement External HDD which came with Dantz Retrospect and I have to decide whether to change my Back-up ways.

There may be other questions that I have not yet considered. Please feel free to answer them.

Incidentally. using the USB2 connection 48GB of Data took just short of 4 hours to Back-up and Verify. Should I consider using the Firewire connection?

LinH 21:35 06 Jun 06

wee eddie,

Hi mate, I don't bother with incrementals, they are too much bother. I just do a complete backup once a month, it saves all sorts of complications. I do mine at the beginning of each month and keep this plus the last month, and delete the one previous to that i.e. backup June, keep May, delete April.

I do, however, make a separate copy of My Documents via copy and paste so I can easily get to it if needed.

48gb in 4 hours is 12gb per hour which seems a tad on the slow side but it's in the ballpark . I use Acronis 9 and it backs up and verifies 14gb in about 50 minutes or so.

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:43 06 Jun 06

When you do incrementals only changes since the last whatever are imaged. You can pick from any of the dated images in your list. Whatever was imaged on any date is what you will get back, the diary option where you can add a bit of text is useful in this repect as an "aide memoire"

Pamy 22:43 06 Jun 06

usb2 should be a tad faster than firewire

wee eddie 16:39 12 Jun 06

If I were to go the Incremental route.

A full restore would contain: The original Back-up + every Sub-back-up done since. Is that correct?

March Hare 17:56 12 Jun 06

The Dantz software that came with my external hard drive (Maxtor) I found so user-unfriendly and difficult to understand and use, that I abandoned it.

I now use Acronis True Image 8, which is so fast (less than an hour for a full backup as stated above) that I don't bother with incrementals, I just do a full backup once a month.

Crook 22:04 12 Jun 06

Wee Eddie . I use Acronis 9, So simple and fast that I just clone once and then create image evry month.

terryf 22:16 12 Jun 06

My acronis 9 backs up 16.5 gb in 15 to 20 mins using usb2 to an ext drive, even faster than acrobis 8

wee eddie 23:12 12 Jun 06

How simple is the Restore function?

wee eddie 23:27 12 Jun 06

Acronis, Ghost, Dantz. Whichever.

I am trying to find out how often to make, what I am calling, a "Base Copy" from which to add the Incrementals.

Hertz Van Rentyl 23:28 12 Jun 06

I have restored several times, boot computer with the disc made in Acronis and you get the same interface as normal only in a crap resolution, pick your restore point and it does it. If you are using the secure zone you can always destroy it and remake it. This erases all your images and you can start again if you have done any major upgrading, but the incrementals should be alright.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…