Incredibly irritating A: drive thing

Unsure Dave 18:16 04 May 09

Folks

A few weeks ago I watched a DVD on my computer that required me to install a DVD-player application that came with the disk. I uninstalled the DVD player as soon as I'd watched the DVD, but since then something odd has been happening. The first time I open My Computer or Windows Explorer after switching on my computer, for about five seconds I hear the grinding sound that an empty A: drive makes. My computer seems to be automatically searching the A: drive, though it doesn't then tell me to insert a disk. And I find the grinding sound INCREDIBLY IRRITATING and am sure this shouldn't be happening. So if anyone can suggest how to stop it, I'm all ears.

So far I've tried:

1. Clearing my Recent Documents list.
2. Disabling the A: drive in Device Manager.
3. Running Norton Antivirus.

But no luck so far!

Unsure Dave

Stuartli 18:20 04 May 09

The A drive is the floppy drive.

If you don't use it, why not disconnect the floppy drive's power cable from the floppy drive? You can always reconnect if the floppy is needed.

Clapton is God 18:21 04 May 09

Use msconfig to see what processes and programs are running at startup

Stuartli 18:23 04 May 09

It could just be coincidence that the floppy drive is kaput - new ones cost under a fiver from top brand names.

Mine packed up a couple of years ago and I bought a Sony replacement on a "just in case it's needed" basis.

woodchip 18:26 04 May 09

To remove floppy seek on computer

Put a floppy disc in the drive. Double click it to open it's window. Now close the window, leave the floppy in the drive, and double click the C drive to open it. Now remove the floppy disc and finally close the C drive.
This apparently silly procedure can remove a left over referencing to the A drive.

PhiltheFragger 21:30 04 May 09

you could always disable it in the bios

Unsure Dave 17:40 12 May 09

And the winner is ... PhiltheFragger. I had to work out how to do it, but it was successful. The only odd thing is that my PC now takes a bit longer to boot up.

Woodchip, I had high hopes, but your idea didn't work!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…