Increasing my PC memory.

Meshuga 20:40 12 Feb 07

My pcs memory at present is 256Mbytes SDRAM DDR PC3200 200 MHZ in slot 1 and the same in slot 2. I have One spare slot. My mother board can handle1536 Mbytes. Can I add another 512Mbytes in one stick to go in the spare slot or should these be swapped around in any sequence, ie- the 512 in slot 1 and the 256 in slot 3. Alternatively would it be better to buy two 512 mb. My OS is XPhome.sp2. In view of the cost of two 512mb I would prefer not to go that route if it will work the other way.

Technotiger 20:42 12 Feb 07

Hi Friend - run the scan here, this will tell you all you need to know about your particular memory setup.

click here

brundle 20:42 12 Feb 07

Go to click here
Their recommendations are usually spot-on.

Meshuga 20:55 12 Feb 07

Thank you Technotiger and brundle. I have already tried the Crucial scan which has only told me whats fitted in my pc but asked for make of pc, which is not in their drop down list and because I cant enter that info the other questions are greyed out. Thanks for your help so far. I`ll probably have to phone Crucial assuming they are in UK.

citadel 21:19 12 Feb 07

as you know you have pc3200 you can add another 512 stick of the same. get retail boxed that comes with warranty,

Meshuga 21:25 12 Feb 07

Thanks Citadel.

Fingees 21:28 12 Feb 07

You should be able to download the new crcial scanner. This not only tells you what you have, but what you can fit.

it doesn't need the make to be on their list.

Meshuga 08:16 13 Feb 07

Thank you Fingees, I haven`t seen any reference to a new scanner on their web page, can you point me to where it is on the page. Many thanhs.

Technotiger 09:44 13 Feb 07

Hi, I have just run the Scan from my link above, it does show my memory, with a comment that my system already has the maximum amount installed (which I already knew of course). However, I do know that if I did have room for more mem the scan would have told me so, with a recommendation for the type and amount.
The scan also stated "We were not able to determine the manufacture and/or model etc .... but were able to complete the scan with info from your mobo." So don't bother with any drop-down menu.

Open my link then click on the Blue "Scan my System" after that click on the Green "Start my System scan".

Meshuga 14:33 13 Feb 07

Hi Technotiger, have run the scan again from your link and although it tells me what memory I have got it does not go beyond that and get any info from the mobo. I have spoken to Crucial in scotland and they told me download click here and install it, which I have done, but dont know what to do with it. Thanks for your reply.

Technotiger 15:30 13 Feb 07

Hi, I have had a look at your link from Crucial, does not make a lot of sense to me either, but I guess it will only tell you what you already know anyway. I would advise that you go ahead with your own original idea of adding 512 to your spare slot -
you cannot 'break' anything. You can always swop them around if needed, and even try different combinations of all three with the 2x256 and the 512.

Let us know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…