Increasing internet connection speeds

I have Win98SE and IE6.I have been reading some literature about a program called Onspeed which purports to increase Dial Up internet connection speeds by up to x10.The cost is £24.99 per annum and is thus much cheaper than Broadband.Have any members used this program and if so does it justify its claims and is it worth the money.

Djohn 21:15 31 Aug 04

I haven't heard of the one you mention but there are many others claiming to do this. It can't be done. The maximum download speed will be determined by your modem [56k] and though there are several ways you can ensure it's working at it's best, this is not one of them.

MartinC1951 21:17 31 Aug 04

Type onspeed into the search - there are number of comments there to read.

€dstowe 21:19 31 Aug 04

If it really works, why isn't everyone using it??

Pesala 21:23 31 Aug 04

Many threads on this one e.g. click here

You may see a little improvement. You would see a far bigger improvement by switching to Opera Browser, not click here because it does anything to speed up your connection, but because it enables you to read one page while another is still loading. It also caches pages so that backtracking through a stack of previously visited pages is much faster.

woodchip 23:03 31 Aug 04

There is no magic wand to make it go faster, You can Put faster stripes on the modem to fool people though.

Thanks everyone.Don`t think I will bother.

Stuartli 14:05 01 Sep 04

The registry tweak does have some effect:

click here

or

click here

or for those with XP:

click here

(broadband):

click here

woodchip 14:22 01 Sep 04

One thing you will find with a Dial-Up connection is that of trying different Port Speed settings, I have found By Trial that My Modem works the fastest when Modem port is set to 19200. I am not talking about Modem Connection that should be set to 115,200. For the Port settings Right Click My Computer\Properties\Device Manager\Ports open each port and check the speed for the setting, you can try for different ones and check with click here if you do them at about the same time, as the load on your ISP etc will change so these have to be done close together to check after each modification in port speed

Stuartli 14:51 01 Sep 04

Had a look at port speed settings on my (dialup) system - they are normally at 115,200 which matches the modem equivalent.

For both Comm Port 1 and 2 the figure from 115,200 jumps to 128,000 (not tried typing a figure in yet), so am just about to try it out...:-)

Stuartli 14:54 01 Sep 04

No difference, but I do wonder why a port speed of just 19,200 would improve throughput?

Microsoft devotes several pages to the subject at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…