Mysticnas 17:20 27 Apr 03

i saw this tip on tweak xp.

it says that you can increase internet speed by deleting some files.

i want to make sure that it's not a load of...

before i completely wreck my connection by doing it.

if anyone knows then please help!

here's the link:

click here

hugh-265156 17:59 27 Apr 03

you can edit the registry for faster speeds but be careful if you do so HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

MaxConnectionsPerServer REG_DWORD (Default 2)
Sets the number of simultaneous requests to a single HTTP 1.1 Server

MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server REG_DWORD (Default 4)
Sets the number of simultaneous requests to a single HTTP 1.0 Server you can change the default settings to higher try 4 and 8.

as400man 18:09 27 Apr 03

Enter DNS cache in the search box. It will give you some idea as to what you are fiddling with. The command ipconfig/flushdns is also covered. Set a recovery point and have a go. Restore if you get problems.

powerless 18:25 27 Apr 03

Only way to really make your Internet faster is by upping your connection speed.

spikeychris 18:38 27 Apr 03

I agree with Powerless on this. The fix offered by huggyg71 will not increase the speed on the connection, it lets you use more than one open source.

You will be, in effect, breaking the HTTP protocol and M$ recommend You should only do this if absolutely necessary and then you should avoid doing standard Web browsing while these settings are in effect:

hugh-265156 18:47 27 Apr 03

my apologies this was a tip from pc answers so thought ok must admit having tried myself ive seen no increase in speed.

VoG™ 20:18 27 Apr 03

I've seen this tip somewhere as well. I thought it was supposed to increase the speed with which pages loaded.

A definitive answer would be appreciated. I have a 1 Mb/s connection and yet some pages load painfully slowly.

powerless 20:54 27 Apr 03

Why don't you try it yourself VoG™ and you could be the the definite Answerer ;-)

What do you with 1Mb/s?

Tools > Internet Options... > Settings (under temporary internet files) > I move the slider to 1MB and i also...

Go to the advanced tab and select "Empty Temporary internet files folder when browser is closed".

I find my internet is fast, although as we all know on this site its sometimes goes slooooow.

Other sites are super fast.

powerless 20:55 27 Apr 03

Mysticnas 21:00 27 Apr 03

i think i'll give it a miss for now. just setup a network, and don't wanna mess that up!

just one more thing.

my network card has WOL, wake on lan. I would assume that my motherboard needs to support this also for it to work?

and if my mobo does support it, then how does one go about it?

spikeychris 21:13 27 Apr 03

Absolutely NO need for any apologies, this is a forum where ideas are thrown around...keep em coming :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…