incorrect system disc

LMcG 09:13 15 Nov 05

I reformatted the hard disk (c drive) of a pc with the intentions of reloading win98. (I have done it before with no problems). This time however when I turn the pc on after the reformat it comes up with 'incorrect system disc' I have tried the win98 cd in the d drive and the win98 floppy in the a drive but neither make a difference. It seems the pc is not reading either drive. Any suggestions?

Diodorus Siculus 09:17 15 Nov 05

Have you looked in the bios for boot options?

Check that it is set to boot from floppy first.

Also, try a new boot disk, say from click here

LMcG 10:42 15 Nov 05

Thanks DS. How do i get to the bios? It seems to give the message before i can do anything. Normally i press Del for setup, is this the same thing? Even when i press del now it just keeps going until i get the error message.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:18 15 Nov 05

press del as soon as it starts up and keep finger on it. (message on first screen as what key to press to enter setup.)

It should then enter BIOS

set first boot device as floppy second as CD (you could always disable HDD as a boot device until you have installed windows)

LMcG 20:01 17 Nov 05

Thanks, I got it, it only took me 10 minutes to remember the difference between Del and Delete. Who wants to use win 98 anyway?

keef66 11:46 18 Nov 05

So what is the difference between Del and Delete? I only have Delete, and that's what I use to enter the bios.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:17 18 Nov 05

There is no difference

apart from different keyboard makers label the key either Del or Delete.

ACOLYTE 16:23 18 Nov 05

The boot option shouldnt make a difference,it should go through each checking for an OS what ever the options are set to,having said that its not always a perfect world and some setups dont do this.

LMcG 17:23 18 Nov 05

The keyboard had the normal delete key which did not work when pressed, I kept getting the same error message. On the number pad was a key marked del, the first time I tried this key I got straight into the bios. I dont know why this happened, could be the keyboard is goosed, I will try delete on something else. The PC was from a small independent who disappeared a few weeks after selling me the machine leaving me with no support etc. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…