incorrect graphics card memory reported on vista

steviekm 11:00 03 Oct 09

this is a strange one, recently installed vista home premium and all is running fine except that i am showing 256 mgb memory on my nvidia 8600gt graphics card plus 757 mgb shared giving me a total of 1013mgb. the card has got 512mgb,which was correctly reported in my last operating system, xp pro.
it doesnt affect performance, infact,with service pack 2 on the computer, the whole system boots up/down and runs quicker than on xp. i'm just curious to know if anyone else has had a similar glitch and if there is a workround if needed.
thanks.

mooly 11:52 03 Oct 09

I think it's normal, and to do with the way Vista uses vector based graphics and DirectX technology.

steviekm 12:04 03 Oct 09

thanks mooly, its just a bit confusing!

mooly 12:37 03 Oct 09

It is confusing.

click here

and if you google "vista shared memory graphics" you'll be there all day :)

Woolwell 13:05 03 Oct 09

I've got the 8600gt and on Vista it shows 512 Mb and total graphics memory available as 1902 Mb.

How much RAM do you have and are your drivers up to date?

steviekm 16:02 03 Oct 09

thanks-sorry about delay in getting back to you, had to go out.
I have 2 gb of ram and the very latest drivers from the nvidia website.all my other drivers are up to date as well, i checked this when i put vista on last week.
looks like its just 1 of those windows mysteries designed to keep us guessing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…